Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warm up reg. - 83 SC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:26 AM
garymoorerja
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Warm up reg. - 83 SC question

My SC was running great and then I ran it out of gas. Now it will start immediately but won't hold idle and dies after a few seconds. Trying to feather the throttle causes it to backfire out of the pop off valve in the airbox. It sounds like it is starving for gas.

I changed the fuel filter, and that made no difference. My Porsche mechanic (who is a long way away) says it sounds like the WUR was damaged. Porsche wants over $700 for labor and parts to install a new WUR (not to mention the towing cost to get it there).

I am thinking about buying a new one from Pelican for $355 and bolting it on myself. I do not have tools or knowledge to measure pressures, fuel volume, etc., though.

If it is a WUR problem, will simply bolting a new one on and bleeding the fuel system, likely fix my problem?

Or am I wasting my time and money because of adjustments that will have to be made as a result of installing a new WUR?

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does sound like it's not getting gas if it backfires. Before throwing money at it I'd do a test. Pull an injector, turn key on, lift fuel distributor plate and see if you get a spray into a glass jar. You can also do a pressure test.

If you had crap in the fuel tank, then it's likely in the fuel filter. I'd change that before blowing $700. WUR's are generally wrongly blamed for all ailments, but they're so expensive and so easy to replace.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
atl 911!
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope everything works out for you. If you can't solve the problem and need to take your car to a shop I would suggest GermanTech in Largo. Joe Vatter is the guy there to talk to. Being in Tarpon I don't think that the tow to his shop would cost all that much. Good Luck, Chuck

Quick Reply: Warm up reg. - 83 SC question