Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuilding my Webers (fuel cell debris) why not DIY?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rebuilding my Webers (fuel cell debris) why not DIY?

HI,

My '73 "RS" has been neglected the last few years while I was taking care of my wife, who unfortunately passed away early this year after fighting cancer for nearly a decade.

The 2.7RS was cutting out occasionally the last time I autocrossed it (over a year ago) but seemed fine on the street. I took it to the Lime Rock race and it would cut out
in corners, then got worse and worse so I never finished a race.

Fuel cell foam was disintegrating a bit but the carbs are quite clean inside and out, I have a fuel filter on the Facet cylindrical pump
and another one in the engine compartment. Pump output at the track was very low, a strong dribble, but 3PSI.
I pulled all the foam out and cleaned my Fuel Safe cell, it's 1999 but in very good shape inside,
will get new foam or maybe a new cell if Fuel Safe thinks the bladder should be timed out.

I have the Weber rebuild kits and have had the tops off the carbs several times at the track setting float level and fixing accelerator jets and
think it's pretty easy to rebuild clean, non-worn carbs.

Any reason to send them to a pro, or to get the carbs cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner? Or just blast carb cleaner through them and
reassemble? I had MFI on my 911s since the mid 80s so not that familiar with carbs. Any hints on what to clean appreciated.

THank you!!

Old 05-08-2019, 02:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

reason to send them to a pro is you are not familiar with carbs and don't want to be; and/or you want them upgraded - 1QuickS is a poster who has done this for decades; IIRC, he's named "Paul"

get a bucket type cleaner and Weber books with info & diagrams to DIY, also the PET can help

be sure not to use any metal to clean the jets (except the correct reamer if you want to do that), and be sure to clean out all the hidden passages
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Paul Abbott at Performance Oriented.is the Weber guru.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Paul Abbott has fantastic info on taking care of Webers on his website. I also found a lot of info in the factory manuals.
I cleaned them out this weekend and it went very well, not hard at all but takes HOURS AND HOURS to do each one carefully.
I also learned a lot about them while studying and working on the Webers.

Will start it up soon and see how I did, thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding my Webers (fuel cell debris) why not DIY?