Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Interior Headliner (want to buy/install)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Headliner (want to buy/install)

Hi All,
At some point soon I'd like to replace the headliner in my car. I just want to freshen it up, and get rid of a few tears. Has anyone done this? Got any advice, or should I leave it to a pro? How much should a pro charge to do it? Anyone know where to order the material etc? I've seen a few companys but they are all in black or tan, I'm looking for dark blue!
Any help would be great, thanks!
Justin
3.2 Carrera 1989
Old 02-11-2004, 11:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Your talking about allot of work. To do it properly you will need to pop all of your windows. You may think about replacing seals at this time too. You may also discover some rust in the well under the front windshield, you will want to repair this while you are at it. Other concerns are the wires for the rear window defroster. These can be a pain and you must be very careful not to break the connections off the window in the process. Replacing the windows can be quite tricky. It can be done with the help of a friend or two but IMO I would pay someone to do the job and let them deal with the headaches. I might be wrong but they will probably charge upwards of $600.00 + materials. Find a good body shop and talk it over with them make sure you are specific that you want it taught.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It is one of the most difficult do-it-yourself jobs on a 911. The part itself is cheap (about US$50), but the labor to put it in can be US$300-400. As Anthony says, all the windows need to come out. And the installation itself requires a great deal of dexterity and patience.

Depending on the current condition of your headliner, you might want to consider painting it (with the spray-on upholstery paint) in order to clean up its appearance. If they're small and out-of-the-way, the tears could be repaired first and painted over.

The replacement process is detailed in the book 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 by Wanyne Dempsey.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Chris Picklo
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about just the sunroof piece? My headliner is fine, just the part over the sunroof fell down.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best thing is to go to a pro. I don't like the sound of this and I think I would probably bodge it up!
Is it better to go to a bodyshop (can they do it) or a proper interior retrim company?
Cheers
PS if anyone knows a supplier? let me know...
Old 02-11-2004, 05:34 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the headliner on my '70 myself and found it to be a snap. I got the kit from Tweeks and it's all cut to size and sewn. Installation was easy.and the result looks perfect. BUT, I was painting the car at the time and had all the windows out. I can see that while you could do it with the windows in place it would be difficult. Take the car to an auto upholstery shop, these guys do this job every day. I don't know what it would cost for labor, but the material is cheap. Good luck

Quick Reply: Interior Headliner (want to buy/install)