Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

First Time 911 Owner Incoming (and questions). Hi Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 AM
CaptainFuzzy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time 911 Owner Incoming (and questions). Hi Everyone!

Hey folks! I've been lurking the forums for a bit and wanted to introduce myself, and my incoming 911. I was lucky enough to tackle a purchase for an 87 Carrera with 138k Miles out here in So Cal. Currently about to get a bit of work done before delivery, post PPI, in the next few weeks including general mainenance and upkeep work.

The car is in really great condition and was maintained by a Porsche collector.

My main concerns at the moment are that im told i need new struts, and the custom seats are bit tight for me. What are some recommended struts for this car, and generally preferred seats? I'm 5'8 190lbs for reference. Any recommened mechanical upgrades? I was debating this but im not sure if I should just enjoy the car stock for a few months or if there are considerations i should be making.

im STOKED to finally get my grubby paws on one of my dream cars and even more excited to be a part of a great crowd.

EDIT: This will be used as a daily driver for a few months perhaps longer...

Apologies if im on the wrong forum for this. Any newbie tips would be appreciated.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CaptainFuzzy; 04-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:25 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I have Bilstein struts on my Targa and love them.

Do you have photos of the Seats?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:38 PM
CaptainFuzzy
Intermediate

Default Here’s the current interior. Love it but the seats are VERY snug

Originally Posted by GothingNC

Old 04-14-2019, 03:58 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Bilstein & get them digressively valved

replace suspension bushings too

critical things are new rubber brake hoses; new rubber fuel hoses & that special fuel line/hose on the 3.2L motors that often fails
- new tires if older than 6 years no matter the mileage

go thru PO's old receipts and see what was done and when - if the above are in the unknown category then do them

flush/replace all fluids
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM
VRSENVL
Track Day

Originally Posted by r911
Bilstein & get them digressively valved

replace suspension bushings too

critical things are new rubber brake hoses; new rubber fuel hoses & that special fuel line/hose on the 3.2L motors that often fails
- new tires if older than 6 years no matter the mileage

go thru PO's old receipts and see what was done and when - if the above are in the unknown category then do them

flush/replace all fluids
Second the fuel lines. I didn't do this initially and almost caught fire to mine after smelling fuel on the way home from work with my wife. Turns out the cracked hoses were dumping fuel all over the engine.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Yow! and BTW, you cannot tell by looking at them in situ if they are good - they will crack on the inside and leak. Use new ones rated for your pressure needs and rated for EtOH mixes.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM
CaptainFuzzy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GothingNC

uploaded a photo for ya
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainFuzzy
uploaded a photo for ya
Thanks !
They look like Sports Seats, might be worth a bit of money to hold onto them.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

yeah those are sport seats for sure and worth a lot of money .. looks like they were made to match that interior so in no way part with these.

There tends to be a lot of paranoid information on these forums so just take everything with a grain of salt. Use common sense and you will be fin e.

Your tires wont explode on the road if they are over 6 years old so ignore that advice. Just have a look, if you dont plan on tracking the car or driving super aggressive they should be fine, just budget and plan accordingly like you would any other car.

same with brake line, those things can go 20 plus years no issues. The Porsche ones are very robust, i have owned many Porsches so i can tell you this from experience. Next brake service have them evaluated and replace if you feel comfortable , especially if you have the brake system open for bleeding. Your post inspection guy will advise you , he will likely tell you they are fine.

The fuel lines are definitely a weak spot on the 84 Carreras on up , there is small " J " fuel line that is often missed if that leaks it can be disastrous so have that checked carefully. usually you have to do a partial drop to get to that one.

Like any other car just use common sense, don't let anyone tell you the sky is falling.

As far as suspension goes i run Bilstein sports all around with stock valving and its fine, you don't need to get into anything fancy if its just a daily driver or touring car.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Your car being a G50 car is a bit heavier in the rear than a 915 car so , yes, get the Bilstein Sports all around.As for the fuel lines , Lenny ( Boxster GT ) on these forums or Pelican is the fuel
line guru and had made hundreds of replacement lines for numerous members and i would eventually reach out to him.He did mine and his work is outstanding.

DO NOT get rid of those sport seats ... if you find them too tight , go on a diet ... lol
They are really hard to find, so keep them and buy used regular seats in the meantime !
You have a beautiful car , enjoy it !!!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM
CaptainFuzzy
Intermediate

Fuel Lines, Bilstein, Eat my veggies. Got it! 🚗

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Your car being a G50 car is a bit heavier in the rear than a 915 car so , yes, get the Bilstein Sports all around.As for the fuel lines , Lenny ( Boxster GT ) on these forums or Pelican is the fuel
line guru and had made hundreds of replacement lines for numerous members and i would eventually reach out to him.He did mine and his work is outstanding.

DO NOT get rid of those sport seats ... if you find them too tight , go on a diet ... lol
They are really hard to find, so keep them and buy used regular seats in the meantime !
You have a beautiful car , enjoy it !!!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainFuzzy
Fuel Lines, Bilstein, Eat my veggies. Got it! 🚗
No burgers for you !!! ...... one year !!!!!

NEXT !!!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Originally Posted by theiceman
Your tires wont explode on the road if they are over 6 years old so ignore that advice.
This is extremely bad and dangerous advice. Please stop mis-informing people about this.

Tires over 6 years old ARE dangerous for any type of driving, and lose adhesion to the road besides a risk of rapid deflation. You need not ask the tire manfs. about this.

Instead, you can head to NHTSA. The publication you want is "The Pneumatic Tire" HS-810-561, and is available on their web site as a pdf.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree with this gentlemen. If your tires are over six years old, you should change them. It is now commonly believed that tires caused (or significantly contributed to) Paul Walker's death. For less than $1000, it is not worth it.

Originally Posted by r911
This is extremely bad and dangerous advice. Please stop mis-informing people about this.

Tires over 6 years old ARE dangerous for any type of driving, and lose adhesion to the road besides a risk of rapid deflation. You need not ask the tire manfs. about this.

Instead, you can head to NHTSA. The publication you want is "The Pneumatic Tire" HS-810-561, and is available on their web site as a pdf.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

this site has collected a bunch of sources:

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires...-in-six-years/

Quick Reply: First Time 911 Owner Incoming (and questions). Hi Everyone!