Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to get into it with my door!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 PM
BorrowedFun911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into it with my door!

Newbie here looking for some good insight. I am having some trouble with both power windows and door latches in my 76 carrera 3.0. The windows are very slow and seem to get a little ****-eyed on thier way up, and the latches are very stiff on close, open just fine. I have been told that I should take the door apart, replace the window felt, and clean/lube both assemblies. My questions are: What will this job entail? What should I clean the parts with? What kind of grease/lube should I use? What should I be careful of?

If anyone has performed the same sort of repair I would love to hear your advice or story. I would like to be prepared for this job because I don't get a lot of time with my baby and want to make it worthwhile. =)

Thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 12:58 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definately change the frame felt..
you'll probably have to remove the frame for the install. the frame gets aligned.. allow the fastest glass motion to align.. the power window switches wear out.. it's easy to install power locks, but running the wires is a PIA. There is a window regulator upgrade for about $150 each.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Window felts can be changed without disassembing the door. Although a snug fit, the old felt can be pulled out when the window is down and the new felt will slide down the window channel if lubricanted with lots of soapy water and coaxed with a flat screw driver blade.

Of course if you're doing the rest of the list anyway, its easier once the door has been dissasembled .
Old 02-11-2004, 11:32 AM
BorrowedFun911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the technical advice guys. What grease/lube should I use for these parts (the latch mech. & window reg.)?

Quick Reply: Looking to get into it with my door!