Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 1st 911- Question about mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
markwemple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the minority. If you love the car, then drive it. I love to see old ferraris at the track but fewer are coming out. The old man must be rolling in his grave. CArs are menat to be driven and enjoyed, first and foremost. Besides, one cool thing about a 911 is that if you have the $ anything can be fixed! Anyway, the old SCs are about as reliable a car as one cna have and be driving a boring Camry or such. But that is simply my opinion!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:17 PM
chavez45
6th Gear

Guys,
I appreciate your comments on the alternate car and I am looking for another little pickup to get better mileage with. BUT, the porsche is the dream car. I don't have it to sit in the driveway. I get the most appreciation from th eguys I work with.

Only one of them is a Porsche guy, the rest are all talking about Vettes, and Mustangs. A few of them have built cars for the 1/4 but I really don't push that too much. This car is strong and pretty light but not one that will get many wins at the other end of the lights.

I do plan on driving it most days and as long as premium doesn't hit $2/gal I will probably be alright. I just want the car to run as good as possible all the time. I plan on adding a wide-band A-F gauge to monitor it and would like to look at a Motronic control in the future but I hope I don't have to do that this week.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I'm all for actually driving the thing. Just saying that you didn't do yourself any favors with getting a SC if you're at all worried about mileage. The $2/gal barrier probably won't hold long. We're way past it here.
As far as optimizing it, you probably want to make sure that all ignition parts are new. You might want to give Steve Wong (one of the chip gurus) a holler to talk about changing the tune of the car for optimizing mileage.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Stef
Old 02-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Classic Style
Track Day

Oh how I wish even 89 oct. was under $2/gal. I'm at least fairly lucky to be getting about 24mpg in my 74 911. Even so, I'm probably paying close to what you do at 16 mpg. Oh well. Another idea for getting some better mileage, try backing off the boost by 1 lb. since a lot of these things are mostly insignificant by themselves, but combining all of them could yield a 2-3 mpg increase.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay H.:

What mileage do you get in your 964? I have always gotten sh!tty 16-17 mpg in combined driving. Adrian once told me "that's the way it is." Of course, it wouldn't hurt if I kept the revs down a bit, but what fun would that be?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jon:

My car is hard to judge by since I drive it so little (<1000 miles per year) and I only buy gas about 2-3 times per year. I'm not sure if the lack of driving hurts gas mileage... But, I check the mileage every time I get fuel. Over the past 3+ years of ownership, I've noticed that very hard driving (high speeds, hard acceleration) will result in about 20 to 22 mpg on average.

The worst mileage I've recorded was 20 mpg. That was right after I bought the car and the car had been sitting for at least 6 months without more than a test drive or two during that time. After I had the car awhile, I noticed with normal driving I can average 23-25 mpg on a tank with my best mileage about 25.5 mpg on one tank.

Most of my driving is done on empty back roads and I never take the car in stop and go traffic.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Quick Reply: My 1st 911- Question about mileage