Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'74 Paint & Body options. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Paint is on! '74 Paint & Body options. What should I do?

Picked a 1974 about 4 months ago and I'm building / modifying it into "Hot Rod / quasi Outlaw" car. I've already swapped the motor with a stock 3.0 (this will be redone with some mods) and rebuilt the 915 trans. Interior has been stripped. Original thoughts was not paint and keep the short hood and just drive the crap out of it and have fun. The repaint the previous owner did is terrible but it does give the car character. Now I've changed my mind on the paint, I'm going to paint it and now question if I should back date it or not. I didn't want to backdate originally because everyone is doing it and thought I at least honor the original year of the cars body. Now thinking twice about it.

This is where i ask for everyone's help here?
  1. What color would you paint it? (I want white, or an off white.... but my buddies and Family say mix it up.. Currently my 964, Cayenne, Expedition, '71 F100 PU, daughters Rav4, Prius are all white) I would love pick a different color but I'm struggling with it.
    • Would you backdate it to a long hood or keep it short hood (It will stay a narrow body up front and I will be putting RS flares in the back..I did pick up a IROC bumper and threw it on for fun)?
These are the two questions and I would love your input on them. My apologies in advance for not being able to create a build thread on here, I just don't have the discipline to do so. There are some great ones on here. I will do my best to update as I go. Thank you Joe "aka Black Mamba".

Also don't care about originality on this one

Last edited by CBA; 07-29-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Black is actually a pretty rare and desirable color on a 74. Maybe you don’t care about resale value at all, but if you do, you might consider keeping it black.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:48 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Black is actually a pretty rare and desirable color on a 74. Maybe you don’t care about resale value at all, but if you do, you might consider keeping it black.
Thanks.... ya resale not a priority... actually car was originally Copper Metallic then previous owner painted it black.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I think Copper metallic is fantastic, I would seriously give it a thought. Otherwise I would go for one of many other old skool colors that you don't see anymore. In no particular order, Bahama yellow, Sahara beige, Tangerine, Albert blue, and the holy grailest of all old skool colors, Irish Green. If I had money to build my dream hotrod I'd do it in one of those colors.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

If you're going to invest in paint I'd probably go back to as delivered. Copper metallic is a very cool period color. Id do the interior in a nice saddle type dark brown. If you must do a white, i like the idea of sahara beige.
I think this could make for a very cool period hot rod.

Here's my head on these things: if they're not all original garage art. Have at it.

Plus, I think the hot rod thing, it's well, its been done. I really like the idea of a period look car that is very sporting, JUST enough w/o going full out. Invest in good chassis mods, make a nasty motor, but keep that period look. Thats my take. And what I'm doing on my 71 w/ a 2.7 in it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Plus, I think the hot rod thing, it's well, its been done. I really like the idea of a period look car that is very sporting, JUST enough w/o going full out. Invest in good chassis mods, make a nasty motor, but keep that period look.
+1. I concur that the whole backdate thing is a bit tired. I'd go for a "sleeper" period correct hot rod.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:15 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Graphite Gray with a lot of metal flake in it

if you still want off-white... Linen
Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep I believe one of the most rare 911’s to see today is a true narrow body 74-77. Leave body but mod the suspension and motor for a really cool toy
Old 01-20-2019, 05:53 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you're going to invest in paint I'd probably go back to as delivered. Copper metallic is a very cool period color. Id do the interior in a nice saddle type dark brown. If you must do a white, i like the idea of sahara beige.
I think this could make for a very cool period hot rod.

Here's my head on these things: if they're not all original garage art. Have at it.

Plus, I think the hot rod thing, it's well, its been done. I really like the idea of a period look car that is very sporting, JUST enough w/o going full out. Invest in good chassis mods, make a nasty motor, but keep that period look. Thats my take. And what I'm doing on my 71 w/ a 2.7 in it.
All over making it a sleeper for the most part.

Thanks. Agreed on garage art(which it isn't).. I should have been more articulate as I really do want a sleeper. Period correct cool, light weight but practical, top notch handling (like my 964) and overall powerful enough without burning money for 10 extra horsepower. Goal is for car to be mechanically perfect, that takes priority of paint and finish.

QUOTE=rick brooklyn;15580422]+1. I concur that the whole backdate thing is a bit tired. I'd go for a "sleeper" period correct hot rod.[/QUOTE]
Thanks and agreed.

Originally Posted by r911
Graphite Gray with a lot of metal flake in it

if you still want off-white... Linen
Thanks... and like both of those.

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Yep I believe one of the most rare 911’s to see today is a true narrow body 74-77. Leave body but mod the suspension and motor for a really cool toy
Thanks... and agree just been kicking it back and forth for the past 2 months. That was the original goal(leave it narrow) and I'm just doing s sanity check before I paint... figure if I was to do any body changes now is the time before I paint.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I despise white on any car, but you definitely should do what your heart tells you. If it was my car I'd go for a bright, non-metallic color like Summer Yellow or Signal Orange. I've also seen Copper Metallic and I love it. As for the body, I'd keep it 100% stock. I'm not a fan of non-standard bumpers unless it's a backdate, which I also agree is getting tiresome.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I really like copper metallic
Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I only despise white on a car if I am the one who has to wash it...
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Copper metallic is another premium color, but if you don’t care about value who cares. White is boring. I like the skittles colors one of my cars is gulf blue, another is light yellow, and my 914 is signal orange.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Chalk; its a new GT3 color and would look good on your '74. Strip it to a bare shell and do a color change correctly!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Chalk; its a new GT3 color and would look good on your '74. Strip it to a bare shell and do a color change correctly!!!
Never mind.

Quick Reply: '74 Paint & Body options. What should I do?