Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do I need to drop engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Do I need to drop engine?

I have recently purchased a 1992 C4 with 25,000 miles which was in storage for 15 years.

While setting the valves I did a cold leakdown test with dismal results. Although the leakdown tester indicated all cylinders to be “acceptable” (within the green zone on the gage), I do not accept these results based mainly upon the fact that I can hear leakage at the exhaust flange where the cat converter connects. Cat was removed for valve adjustment. I understand that a leakdown should be performed on a hot engine, but would a hot engine really stop a leak that can be heard in the exhaust? I figured the only way it could be leaking into the exhaust would be from a bent exhaust valve or perhaps a badly burned exhaust valve. I did the testing after I set the valves so I know the rockers were not holding a valve partly open.

Cold leakdown values ranged from 15% to 26% and cold compression values ranged from 120 to 205 psi. So before I drop this low mileage engine and dive in, is there anything I am missing that might mean I don’t need to drop the engine? This is my first Porsche and an engine drop is somewhat intimidating but I will tackle it if necessary. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide. Oh and one more thing. The engine runs and to me it sounds good but with the cat removed and all the tin and blower removed I did not want to run it for long for fear of overheating.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Tom, if it sat for 15 years, I would definitely want to run and drive the car for a while before I made the leap to a rebuild. Engines can get gunked up from sitting and skew the results. I would want to put a few thousand miles on the car before I made that decision. Probably the first few hundred miles kind of easy, and then progressively more like an "Italian tune up". You can then recheck the leak / compression numbers and see where you stand. Obviously in the interim miles, you'll want to keep eyes open for any signs that things are going wrong, and immediate attention would be needed; IE severe oil leaks, knocking or other nefarious noises. You may also have to redo the valve adjustment depending on what the carbon deposit situation is at the moment. In all likeliness after sitting for 15 years it will have some leaks that you'll eventually want to clean up. Spending a couple thousand miles getting a feel for the condition can help you understand how comprehensive the rebuild will need to be.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Totally agree. Change oil, change plugs, ensure you don't have any dangerous oil leaks. Adjust valves. Patch it up, and go drive it. Check oil level every couple hundred miles. After 1000 or so, check the plugs. Track consumption. Adjust valves again and do another leak/compression. Give that thing an Italian tune up and let it run in a bit. This will also ensure that any real leaks are found, etc.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Thanks Auto_Werks and Spyrex. It sounds like good advice and I will take it. This has the added benefit of allowing me to figure out what else might be wrong with the car.
For instance, I had nightmares about dropping the engine, completing a top end job and then on my first test drive discovering that the transmission needed work and then out comes the engine again.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

You guys with the 964's, after sitting so long, should Tom also replace the distributor drive belt?

Mark
Old 01-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
You guys with the 964's, after sitting so long, should Tom also replace the distributor drive belt?

Mark
Not a bad idea.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:39 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

If no record of being done it needs to be looked at. Power steering drive belt too.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:16 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Thanks guys. I have already replaced the distributor belt and installed the vent kit. It's a good thing I did as the belt was starting to fray and there was a fair amount of rubber dust in the housings.

How do I inspect the power steering belt? Does this require major disassembly? I assume if it fails, the car can still make it home?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Keep in mind this is not a 964 forum so we don't have PS.
964 has their own forum with tech advice specific to that model

Cheers
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
Keep in mind this is not a 964 forum so we don't have PS.
964 has their own forum with tech advice specific to that model

Cheers
Being a Porsche newbie I had no idea other 911's don't have PS. My apologies.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 AM
aaron.finch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1989 carrera 4 i need to remove engine to replace starter motor is there much more i need to do other than what you have listed in you article how to remove an engine of a 911?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

I would go to air cooled sub forum 964 and ask this is for 911 ( up to 89)

Quick Reply: Do I need to drop engine?