1987 G50 Clutch Pedal Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 G50 Clutch Pedal Sticking

Happy new year all,

I have an 87 Carrera with about 70,000 miles on it. Over the last 100 miles or so I noticed that the clutch pedal doesn’t come out all the way when released.

Without the engine running, if I depress the clutch pedal and pop it (or release it quicker than usual for normal driving), it comes out all the way, but if I ease it out as I would when driving, it sticks about 3/4 of the way out. While driving, there is no grinding, slipping, etc., but of course it sticks so I have to use my left foot to pull it out.

With the pedal board removed, everything looks in good order. Clutch pedal spring in good shape, properly seated, no corrosion on the linkage, etc.

Anyway, obviously something isn’t right.

Any thoughts? Clutch slave cylinder, throw out bearing, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Sounds like Hydraulic issue to me.
When was the last time fluid was replaced (brake fluid) and clutch bleed?
Have you inspect for any hose that might be slightly leaking? Check the one from the tunnel to the slave cylinder in the back.
Was the clutch ever replaced? Release bearing clutch shaft updated?

I would start by inspecting all the hoses, then bleeding the clutch, then probably go with master and slave replacement.

I'm in Montreal and proud owner of a G50 as well, so if you need to look at something on my car, or if you need a motive bleeder to do the job, just contact me. Happy to help.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Thanks for the tips. Car is currently in storage on the other side of the city so won’t be able to dig into it until late March or April.

i will try out those items and if I get stuck, I’ll reach out.

Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardB
Thanks for the tips. Car is currently in storage on the other side of the city so won’t be able to dig into it until late March or April.

i will try out those items and if I get stuck, I’ll reach out.

Thanks again.
Please return to this thread and share the solution, so that others who have this problem in the future can find this thread useful.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Will do.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Tvcam911
3rd Gear

I had the same issue with my 89. Found no leaks in the pedal cluster or under the car. Had my mechanic dive in since the car was new to me and I just wanted it gone through. Engine removed and found that my clutch fork was bent and the throw out bearing bushing was cracked. While they were there they replaced the slave cylinder. That fixed the issue. Of course you may not have to do all that but it seems the slave cylinder could be the culprit or even just flushing the fluid could help. My pedal had a lot of play when you began to depress and the clutch would grab when you lifted the pedal 1/2”. Funny thing is that it hadn’t done that the first few days I had driven it. I knew the car had been sitting for awhile in Florida so.... the flywheel had the most rust my mechanic had ever seen. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I’ll start off with the easy stuff (fluid flush, etc.) and then move on down the line.

I’ve owned the car for 22 years now and the clutch peddle feels exactly the same as it did when I got it so hoping it isn’t as you describe. This said it’s been pretty inexpensive to run over the years so wouldn’t be surprised if I have a big bill one of these days.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:37 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

The slave cylinder is a PITA to bleed because of tight quarters and you can't see the bleed nipple. As a result, it's a task that often doesn't get done even when the hydraulic fluid is changed out. If it hasn't been done in the last couple of years, I suggest you do it or have it done.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Agreed. Once the snow melts and the rain washes away all this salt, I’ll pull it out of storage and that’s the first thing I’ll try. (Another 6 weeks minimum)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:47 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

In the meantime, you can follow the Canadiens as they try to hang on to their playoff spot for another couple of months
Old 02-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
The slave cylinder is a PITA to bleed because of tight quarters and you can't see the bleed nipple. As a result, it's a task that often doesn't get done even when the hydraulic fluid is changed out. If it hasn't been done in the last couple of years, I suggest you do it or have it done.
You may want to check out Demon Speed Motorsports' remote clutch bleeder - Demon Speed Motorsports Ed makes them for the 996 Cup remote slave AND the G50 slave. Works GREAT. You can position the remote bleeder just above the air box and bleed the clutch from the back of the car while standing up. And if you really want to avoid bleeding hassles when taking the engine/transmission down, you can purchase off-the-shelf Staubli dry-break connections (SPH03 for the -3 bleeder line, and SPH04 for the -4 slave feed line) along with some custom length swaged hoses with AN ends and create a dry-break setup that allows you to disconnect the clutch slave feed line AND the clutch bleeder line prior to engine/transmission removal. No longer any need to re-bleed the system as the Staubli connectors maintain bleed on both sides, AND no need to remove the slave from the transmission to lower the engine/transmission. I did this on my '89 Carrera and it works GREAT!

No affiliation with Ed at Demon Speed other than being a VERY satisfied customer!

Toby
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Great tip! Thanks Toby.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Not holding my breath on th Habs.

Last edited by EdwardB; 02-06-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-2019, 09:28 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Well finally had a chance to get my brake fluid and clutch fluid flushed.

Should have changed the clutch fluid more often as it was quite dirty... in any case it did the trick. Clutch was much smoother but kept sticking a bit for the first few miles. Drove it yesterday and it works 100%.

Guess the gunky fluid was holding the slave cylinder from activating completely. New fluid freed everything up and all good now.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix. Thanks for circling back on this issue.

Quick Reply: 1987 G50 Clutch Pedal Sticking