Battery chargers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004 | 02:47 PM
Jeffrey M.
Intermediate

Default Battery chargers...

Any wisdom on hooking up my 911 battery to a trickle charger
when it sits in the cold for a few weeks or a month. I have
heard of ones that work through the cigatette lighter.
Any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks.

JM
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:04 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is wisdom. Lead acid batteries do not like cycling. Whenever a lead acid battery discharges, the lead plates get covered by sulfation, which decreases the battery's ability to take a charge. When the sulfation layer hardens the battery won't charge, and looks like it is low or dead.

Keeping batteries topped up prevents sulfation, and a controlled, pulsed "reverse voltage" helps clean off your lead plates. The charger I use in all my vehicles which sit for some period of time is called the BatteryMinder, which goes for about $40 at batterymart.com (cheapest place I have found them). Keeps battery in top shape, and no worries about overcharging.

No affiliation with either the product or the company which sells them, just a satisfied customer for about the last 6 years.

Tom
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:33 PM
86NOH2O
Instructor

I have one, but it does not come on unless I have the key in and turned to the first position. Then the light on charger comes on. I guess this makes sense as my lighter does not work without the key in the same place.

Anyone else have to do this?
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Some claim leaving the key on like that can burn out the points or other ignition control items.

Can run a new (fused) wire to the lighter. Or use alligator clips on the batter itself.
Old 02-08-2004 | 07:05 AM
Jeffrey M.
Intermediate

I got a Porsche battery maintainer, which operates through the cigarette lighter, and when I plugged it in my door lock light came on and my windows operate. I assume that the charger is doing that? The key is off. Is it ok for me to leave it plugged in? Thanks.

JM
Old 02-08-2004 | 11:11 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

An accessory for the Porsche battery maintainer is an adapter that fits on the cigarette plug and has two alligator clips for hooking directly to the battery. Suncoast has them.
Old 02-08-2004 | 11:27 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Another suggestion for when the car is in storage is to yank the battery out and put it in the basement or in a dry, vented area. Store it on a piece of wood if you put it on a concrete floor.

Then, charge it with a trickle charger once a month while the battery is out of the car. Cold isn't the best for batteries...

I use a 2 amp trickle charger (alligator clip type) for topping up batteries on my cars.

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Battery chargers...