Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

68 911L Front Suspension/Stearing Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:48 PM
mxracer21cb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 68 911L Front Suspension/Stearing Help

Im trying to get the suspension and steering back up and going again on my 68 911L. I am changing shocks, bushings, tie rods, etc. However, I have had two major problems in doing so.

1.)I have unbolted the entire cross member but i still cant get it to drop out. Is it welded on or am I missing something?

2.)The "front a arm" or traverse arm will also not move. I unbolted the traverse arm and removed the torsion bar inside. It seems to be held up where it connects to the cross member by the rear bushing. I have been told that the 68 is pressed on but the 69 isnt...and the exact opposite. Is it pressed on? And if so, how do i remove it to change the bushings?

Im also looking for suggestions.
-the car came with KONI shocks. Should i go with stock, sport, or gas shocks?
-also, should i replace the entire tie rod, just the tie rod end, or not replace it at all?

Once again all your help is appreciated and please feel free to ramble on, i can use all the help i can get.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Chris:

1) As long as the crossmember bolts are removed and supports are unbolted, give it a rap with a hammer and it should drop. The mounts on the body are shouldered and I'd guess that a bit of corrosion is holding it in place.

2) The A-arms need to slide forward toward the front of the car to drop. Those rubber bushings are replaceable on these early cars. You'll cut off the old rubber ones and press the new ones on.

If you have Koni's, just have them rebuilt unless you are going to install Bilsteins and upgrade the whole front end.

I'd replace the whole tie-rod. Use the 930 ones.

Enjoy,
Old 02-01-2004, 01:43 PM
mxracer21cb
Intermediate

OK, thanks for your help. The car did come with konis but they are beyond repair and id rather just get new ones to get it out of the way. Do you recommend Blisteins over koni? If i put in blisteins, what else would i have to buy to make them fit the car? Or are they innerchangable?

Thanks A lot steve
Old 02-01-2004, 07:31 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

MxRacer, do not put 930 tie rods on a 68 or earlier 911.

they will not fit the short wheel base cars correctly. no matter what anybody tells you, YOU CAN NOT put turbo tie rods on a swb 911/2 (64-68). you can 'make them fit', but Turbo Tie Rod ends don't belong on an early steering rack. The rack is too narrow and not enough of the threads will engage to be safe!

Harry
Old 02-02-2004, 07:06 PM
mxracer21cb
Intermediate

ok, thanks for the advide

Quick Reply: 68 911L Front Suspension/Stearing Help