Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Steaming up gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steaming up gauges

My gauges have a habit of steaming up inside in damp weather.
They clear after an hour or so of running (with heater on). Is this normal for an SC or do I have a problem?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:02 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem after I bought my 911 a few years ago. The issue eventually went away. The car is always garaged and out of the rain, so the only moisture it usually gets is from the occassional washing. From what I remember reading after doing a search of the forum a couple of years ago, I don't think the fogging indicates a problem.

Jim
'87 911 Cabrio
blk/blk/blk
Old 01-31-2004, 01:09 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have the same problem, seems to happen during the winter (my car is kept outside)

Last year I installed a new bulb in the rev counter gauge. Now this winter the rev counter and the one to the left of it (oil) are always steamed up when I first use the car, then it clears (but not always completely)

I think its really annoying if anyone can help I'd appreciate it too. Doesn't look nice either.

I don't think its the rubber surrounds on the dials though. Question is why only 2 are steemed up but not all of them?

Cheers,
Justin
Old 01-31-2004, 03:07 PM
dugsud
Instructor

All 5 of mine steam up.....the clock is probably the least affected.
The car does sleep out though and the weather here in the UK at the moment is VERY wet!

Although my front luggage compartment is pretty dry as far as leaks are concerened there is some condensation on the inside of the bonnet (hood).
As there is an opening to the rear of the dashboard from there I think this is probably my most likely cause.
The condensation forms then when there is a temperature differential between the trunk & the car interior.

WOW....I've answerwed my own question!! :-)

But can anyone tell me how to stop it?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Dan Stratton
Intermediate

I park mine in my driveway here in Vancouver BC -it is very wet and damp in the winter here. Since I don't drive it daily I think moisture in the interior builds up causing the problem of fogging. I started running a small heater in the car to keep the interior moisture free and that actually stopped the guages and the immediate fogging of the windows on warm up of the car.

Dan...
Old 02-01-2004, 08:55 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Hi,

I can see the area from my trunk through to the rear of the dials.

I don't think this is the problem though. If all the dials were steamed up then maybe. But as only two are I am really confused!

Cheers,
justin
Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

My fuel/oil level gauge fogs up at times. I do not intentionally drive it in the rain, and it sleeps in the garage. Clears up after a little bit. I just thought it was due to the fact that it was the only gauge right in line with trunk and diff. between temps from trunk and cockpit was causing the fogging.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:52 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Hi Doug,

Seems pretty normal for us UK guys. Two left had gauges steam up on mine, although it's normally just the oil pressure that's the worse. your absolutely right on the cause.

I've recently replaced the luggage compartment seal in the vain hope of stopping the problem. It does keep the compartment dry, but I still get condensation on the underside of the bonnet lid.

I think I remember reading an article on curing this (steamy gauges) in 911 & porsche world a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig it out and post the response.

atvb

Jon J (in very damp West Sussex)

79 911 SC Targa Sport
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 PM
pwd72s
Pro

In the old days we blamed it on trips to the drive-in movies... Seriously, it seems that "they all do this". The wetter the climate, the more the fogging...
Old 02-04-2004, 04:15 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

No, I am still not convinced with these theorys.

If true, then all the guages in my car would be steamed up.

I have petrol, mph, and clock crystal clear, and oil, revs completely steamed up. There must be something wrong!!!

cheers

Justin
Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine does the same thing, at least the tach does. Maybe some gauges are just less well sealed than others. I was going to get one of the big dessicant packs like they sell for when you put your car away for the winter. Some types of packs are "rechargeable" such that you can put them into the oven to drive the moisture out, then put it back into the car at night to suck the moisture out of the air.

I haven't tried it yet, but it might help.

Tom
Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
H.D. Smith
3rd Gear

I have been told it's pretty normal...just a sign of moisture that we deal with.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Pisco
1st Gear

Hi, I leave the car with the window sligthly open (1") - in a garage - and there is almost no condensation, even in the rainy winter.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:45 AM
gecc
Advanced

I replaced a lot of these gauges under warranty in the mid 80's. It was was
common problem with the left 2 gauges ( coupe, targa - no differnce). After a while Porsche told us that they would no longer replace gauges for fogging. We were to "vent" the gauges by drilling 2 holes in the back of the unit. I'll have to look back thru all of my old Lit. to see what I can find on the subject. I hope that
this helps.

Charlie
Old 02-21-2004, 01:20 AM
pwd72s
Pro

Originally posted by Pisco
Hi, I leave the car with the window sligthly open (1") - in a garage - and there is almost no condensation, even in the rainy winter.
Good tip...I leave my back windows open...car under cover in the garage, and it seems to help...but foggy gauges? Yep...they are a 911 quirk...cracked open windows helped at the drive in movies as well...

Quick Reply: Steaming up gauges