Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Later G Series AC conversion to 134a

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,123 Posts
Default Later G Series AC conversion to 134a

Hey all - the AC in my 89 works fine. When it's charged up with R12 (which is harder and harder to get and expensive in CA).
I have a leak at the compressor seals. I have a new compressor to install. I'm also going to replace the receiver/drier.
I have the conversion kit from Griffiths.
Valves, Receiver/drier, seals, etc.
At some point I'll replace all the lines, but for now they're fine and if I need to recharge with 134 1x a year I'm ok with that, my regular shop has a proper machine to do so. R12 I need to hunt for.
Last recharge I did was 2+ years ago and it JUST stopped cooling, and when I had it leak checked with a sniffer then the only slight seepage was at the compressor.

Question is on oil. I have the proper oil from Griffiths. And I know with the receiver/drier and compressor swap some oil will be removed from the system.

Is there a recommendation on how much oil I should add to the system when replacing these 2 components?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Griffiths can give you the amount of oil for the compressor. When I did mine, I believe it was 6-8 OZ, but check with them first.
You may want to consider changing those lines too. My understanding is R134 has a smaller molecule and will leak out of old hoses quite quickly.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

With the Griffiths R134a conversion kit there instructions which advise you how much refrigerant oil to put in the system.
Since knowing how much oil 'was' in the system is always a guess, it is better to play it safe and put in 5-6 oz.
If you have too little oil the compressor can wear or lock up tossing debris throughout the system; very time consuming to clean up.
If you have too much oil the worse that can happen is you will lose some efficiency with heat transfer in the evaporator.
Any questions, just contact us by email directly or give us a call.
Griff
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! No refrigerant bleeding thru the walls of the original hose lines? My '88 had that issue so the hoses were replaced and a kit from Griffiths installed. Still keeps cool.........
Old 03-05-2019, 12:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Thanks. I have your griffiths conversion kit and a new compressor to install just haven’t gotten to it yet. Your instructions are really detailed.

I’ll see how long the r134 lasts w a charge. It’s easy to get and cheap so i don’t mind filling it up once a year for now until i have the energy to replace all the lines.

Quick Reply: Later G Series AC conversion to 134a