Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A puzzling fuel line problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 02:36 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post A puzzling fuel line problem

I'm in the final stages of putting my car back together and am stumped by the fuel line incompatibilities of the car vs. the engine. The car is a '78 Euro 911SC that had a carbureted (but otherwise stock) 3 liter motor in it. I bought this car as a roller, and am installing my '77 Carrera 3.0 engine into it, which has stock CIS fuel injection.

Check out the following pics:

Here is the normal fuel filter/accumulator rig on the left side of the engine compartment:
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/engineleft.jpg

Now here is the serious problem. Note the compression fitting on the bracket that is mounted to the engine, and then the two rubber lines that have had their ends cut off:
http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/fuelline.jpg

This may sounds dumb, but I also can't figure out why there are two lines. Normally one is carries fresh gas to the engine and the other is a return line. But I have the fuel filter/accum hooked up properly--there is only one fuel line left to attach on the engine, but there are two lines hanging in the engine compartment. Regardless, what can I do with these lines to allow them to mount on the compression fitting on the engine? I'm pretty stumped about how to do this short of the relatively massive job of plumbing new rear fuel lines. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Howard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noah,

I believe the large line depicted in your photo is the vaccuum assist for your brakes, and true you have a pressure line and a return line back to the fuel tank. Make sure the fuel pump is correct for the CIS setup, if the car had carbs prior the P.O may have gone to a lower pressure fuel pump.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You're on the right track.
The small one should be the return line. You'll need to get a nipple to thread into the return nut. Then slip hose over and double clamp. ( Potential fire source ). ( Mine is the same way )
But you have another problem. Look at the accumulator. It has a vent outlet on the bottom. I don't think your 77 did. So perhaps switch to the other one. Or run a line from there to the return hose and T it in.
Next your looking for a hose off the throttle housing to hook your brake booster line to.

Verify, that coming out of the back left corner are 3 hoses. One of them is attached to the right side of the accumulator. Incoming Fuel. ???? Looks like it from the JPEG.

Also check to #’s on the fuel pump to make sure you have the correct pressure.

These fuel connections are serious. A bad one, and your car is up in flames. So take your time.

I shouldn’t be helping you because of the bad things you do the White paint……..LOL……. Good Luck

Quick Reply: A puzzling fuel line problem