Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electrical short rear parking light circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004 | 08:12 PM
Michael Morgan
2nd Gear

Default Electrical short rear parking light circuit

Gents,

I have a 1988 Carrera coupe that has a dead short on the black/grey wire for the rear driver side parking/side marker lights. I have determined that the short is not in the rear lamp fixture(un-plugged driver side taillight assembly and short is still there). I have heard of other owners who have had this same problem, and was wondering if there is a specific issue that I should be checking that is endemic to the car.

I bought a short finder that pulses the circuit in question, and then you trace this sensitive galvometer along the wiring, when the meter stops moving, that is where the short. Well, it works great, but as soon as the wiring goes through the gromment down below the fuse panel, I no longer have access to the wiring.

I have a degree in electrical engineering, and the fact that I can't find this damn short is driving me nuts.

Others with this same issue have simply isolated the parking lights from the wiring harness and then run a wire over to the passenger side of the car. I could do that, but I really want to fix this the right way.

Any thoughts on where the problem might be ?

Thanks,

Mike Morgan
88 Carrera coupe
Old 03-01-2004 | 11:33 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

I just fixed a similar problem. Mine was intermittant. It was the wire coming from the light in the engine compartment which had worn through the insulator and shorted to the deck lid at the hole that it feeds through. Let me know if you have already solved it.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:14 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm currently working on a short in the licence place lights. The wire runs from the driver's side tail light to the lic. plate lights over the muffler. Haven't got 'round to it yet, but i suspect the wire got overheated by the muffler. Might be an easy place to look?

Quick Reply: Electrical short rear parking light circuit