Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

915 Transmission swap gears direction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 08:38 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 915 Transmission swap gears direction?

I heard or read somewhere that the 915 transmission's gears can be reversed instead of replacing during a rebuild to extend the life another round? Anyone ever done this? Is this common, normal or is this bogus? I need a rebuild soon, so any advice actually would be great! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 AM
1980SC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gears themselves are usually fine. You can flip the syncro rings during a budget rebuild. They primarily only wear on the side that faces the slider. You need to be sure that the shape of the syncro is still correct though. When I rebuilt mine I replaced the 1st syncro and just flipped 2-5. Worked out fine. You are of course taking a chance on how well it will shift.

-Rob
1980sc
Old 01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob. I have 167K original miles on the transmission. I am a daily driver and I autocross 6 to 8 times a year. I also have a factory short shift. I only have problems with the 2nd gear sycro when I really ramp it out hard and shift quick (chirp the tires when I hit 2nd gear), it makes a thud sound before I even lift the clutch pedal. It does it about 50% of the time when I juice it. Anyway, I was wondering how many miles you put on your 915 before you did the rebuld? I am hoping to go to 200k and then do a complete 915 rebuild where necessary. Is this unrealistic? Would it be better to rebuild sooner than later? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 915 Transmission swap gears direction?