Trying to find an aircooled to import to Ireland on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Shea89
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find an aircooled to import to Ireland on a budget

Hi everyone,

I've been lusting after an air cooled 911 for years now and after a few previous attempts to get one I'm really determined this time around.

I was looking to get some advice though on whether my budget and expectations are realistic. I'd like to get a driver with a mechanically sound engine/gearbox and rust free. Paintwork doesn't have to be perfect, stone chipped o.g. paint would be fine. In terms of suspension, brakes, servicing, interior I'm comfortable doing work on those areas myself. I'd consider any air cooled model 911/912 to be honest (preference would be an SC or later though) with the priority being put on condition, I'm hoping keeping my options open would help me make the most of my money.

Another point to consider is I live in Ireland. I've already imported a VW T2 from california so I'm familiar with the process of getting it over here, but I'm thinking maybe I'd be best going through a dealer because of the amount of money involved.

My budget would be around $30k before shipping/import costs. Maybe I could stretch to $35k.

I've seen vehicles on craigslist that seem to match what I'm looking for but for all I know they're dogs in the metal.

So I'm just wondering if some of the people in the US who monitor the market a bit could chime in on whether they think my expectations are realistic or if I'd be better waiting a while and coming back when I have more funds.

Finally if anyone knows of reputable dealers I should be looking at or individuals who could help me source a 911 could you send on the details?

Thanks!
Shea.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Dont know if you are familiar with bringatrailer.com but check that out. You can see all the sales for particular models going way back and get a good feel for what the market is doing. Of course there is also a buyers fee on that but it will at least give you an idea. Lots of data points on there.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

I think that is a reasonable budget for what you are looking for. Although dealer may not be way to go for air cooled.

See if you can connect to PCA classifieds. They tend to be decent enthusiast cars. Or pelican classifieds

Last edited by theiceman; 09-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Shea89
6th Gear

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Dont know if you are familiar with bringatrailer.com but check that out. You can see all the sales for particular models going way back and get a good feel for what the market is doing. Of course there is also a buyers fee on that but it will at least give you an idea. Lots of data points on there.
Thanks for the link, I've been on BAT a few times but didn't know they kept stats on their previous auctions. Something like this gets me very excited that I might have a chance: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...sche-911sc-34/
Old 09-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Shea89
6th Gear

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think that is a reasonable budget for what you are looking for. Although dealer may not be way tongo vor sir cooled.

See if you can connect to PCA classifieds. They tend to be decent enthusiast cars. Or pelican classifieds
Yeah I know my money would go further with a private seller, it's just private sellers usually aren't bothered with international shipping. But the biggest obstacle is trying to prove to a person that you're not a scammer, when I was searching for my T2 I'd be going back and forth with the seller then mention I'm in Ireland and there would be no response.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

You buy the seller not the car. Get them on the phone I guess or Skype

Last edited by theiceman; 09-18-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

How do you plan to have the vehicle inspected before going through with the purchase? Whether buying from a dealer, BAT, or an enthusiast, I think you need to find a way. I've read several recent accounts where someone here or on Pelican didn't bid on a BAT car after seeing it, as they felt the actual condition didn't match the description.

I would be patient, focus on enthusiast cars through Rennlist, Pelican, or Porsche Club of America. Even then there is a risk - just too much money at stake to buy sight unseen.

Mark
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 253 Posts

Porsche Club of America is an excellent suggestion.

GLWYS
Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Bring a trailer is a good place to find a fair deal.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

I purchased my 911 race car on BAT last year, but only after I looked at it myself. I would never bid on a BAT car sight unseen. I believe a PPI by a reputable shop is a must.

About 10 years ago I did the same you are planning to do. Purchased an aircooled 911 in the US and imported it to Ireland. Here's my story. I had the vehicle inspected by a reputable shop before I purchased it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ew-baby-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...troducing.html
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I would never bid on a BAT car sight unseen.l
^
Words to live by.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Shea89
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I purchased my 911 race car on BAT last year, but only after I looked at it myself. I would never bid on a BAT car sight unseen. I believe a PPI by a reputable shop is a must.

About 10 years ago I did the same you are planning to do. Purchased an aircooled 911 in the US and imported it to Ireland. Here's my story. I had the vehicle inspected by a reputable shop before I purchased it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ew-baby-2.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...troducing.html
Car looks great Frank, are you still living in Ireland? A member here on Rennlist has offered to look at cars for me in the LA region. I'll use Rennlist to try and get recommendations for people who can do PPIs for me I suppose. Also my girlfriend has family in San Francisco who would probably be willing to help around California.

I've signed up to a Japanese auction site also, you need to put a hefty refundable deposit down to be able to see vehicles and bid but I went ahead and actually bid on 3 vehicles last night. Got outbid on all of them unfortunately but at least it's another avenue I can pursue, the classic Porsches usually go up for auction on Thursdays.

I'd like to get some opinions on this one, needs some work to put it back on the road. Does anyone have any experience with the dealer
https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...-georgia-30306

Thanks for the help so far everyone
Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Shea89
6th Gear

The one I linked to is now sold here is another one I found: here
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Are no good candidates available in Ireland / UK / Continent?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Shea89
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Are no good candidates available in Ireland / UK / Continent?
Ireland has a tiny market, I think there might be one SC for sale at the minute. The UK has a better selection but you're talking around $50k for a vehicle that's equivalent to a $35k in the states. In mainland Europe it's mostly big classic car dealers from holland / belgium who source most of their 911 stock from the states as far as I can see. So I think the best bang for my buck is getting one myself from the states, but I'm taking on more risk too I suppose

Quick Reply: Trying to find an aircooled to import to Ireland on a budget