Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Power locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power locks

Sorry if its been covered I searched but couldn't find.

When unlocked the power locks keep "clicking".......as if they are trying to lock both doors. It can be heard and felt both inside and outside the car. When I lock it , from either inside or outside it all seems fine.

When I pull the fuse out.........I can't lock the doors at all.

Is there anyway to by pass the power function and just have manual locks?

Its a '89 targa btw.

Last edited by TargaPaul; 09-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,050 Likes on 747 Posts

I dont understand. Why would it be trying to lock all the doors if you are unlocking ?
Do they lock again on their own ?
Or do you mean when they are unlocked, you hear/ feel a solenoid firing constantly ?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
I dont understand. Why would it be trying to lock all the doors if you are unlocking ?
Do they lock again on their own ?
Or do you mean when they are unlocked, you hear/ feel a solenoid firing constantly ?
Sorry. Yes when unlocked and left alone they are like trying to lock by themselves.........and failing.

But when I lock them......from either outside with the key or from inside with the central lock button.....they seem fine. So what I end up doing is locking them while I'm driving with the button just to quiet the clicking.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

how do you know they are locking and failing , as opposed to constantly trying to unlock and they are already unlocked ? but it doesn't realize it .
for example " I am supposed to be unlocked but I don't see the locks as being unlocked, I see one as locked ( even though it isn't ) so I am going to keep trying"
then when you lock it " I am supposed to be locked and I see them as locked so I can stop trying"

just a thought..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Good point. I thought the lock buttons were trying to move down to the lock position......but that might be just a trick of the eyes. Maybe its trying to unlock.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

It might be pushing up and relaxing

Id try did disconnecting switches first. Then check wiring harness
I dont have power locks. Is there feedback somewhere to tell the car if the locks are engaged or disengaged ? Maybe used for the alarm ?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 PM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Paul, Sorry to chime in here late.....

I experienced the same type issue with my 88. I had planned and did remove the central locking button (originally located in the floor console). When I moved the console controls to the
radio delete location I just did not see a reason to have a central locking button. I mean you have the manual unlock mechanism . I wired the central locking to the ignition. Lock on start, unlock when you turn the car off. I did this with a basic clifford alarm brain. I apologize for going into a long winded story. What I experienced is the on and off same issue your experiencing prior to my modification. Meaning the central locking system seemed to want to try and lock again after it had already locked.

Last edited by AG81; 09-18-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Quick Reply: Power locks