Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How hard to change door mounted mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
NOH20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to change door mounted mirrors?

My '86 coupe has 993 mirrors on it and I would like to put the originals that I have back on. Can this be done from outside of the car or will I have to remove the interior door trim panel for any reason i.e., electrical or bracket access.

Thanks!

Brad H
Very cold and snowy Michigan
Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 AM
jcc0016
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

NOH2O,
Would you like to sell the 993 mirrors?
What would you like to get for them. If possible, please send a pic to jcramey@lamplightfarms.com
Thanks, Jeremy
(I hear ya, -5 F in Milwaukee)
Old 01-22-2004, 04:59 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

i would be interested in them as well...
Please send pics to jolliff1@san.rr.com
Old 01-23-2004, 08:36 AM
NOH20
Racer

Thanks for the interest however, the car is in storage and I won't see her again until spring - UGH! I'll let you know what I intend to do then.

Thanks

Brad
Michigan - where is the sun!!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Richard-Dublin
AutoX

To answer the original question - you should be able to change the mirrors back without having to remove the door trims!
You will probably find crimped connectors joining the wiring from the car to the teardrop mirrors (hopefully - rather than than taped connections!). You may need to replace these.
At least you shouldn't have a problem matching the wiring colours which can take some time when going the other way!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quote me on this because I am not 100% sure. But I believe that there is a different wiring used for the 993 mirrors. Am I wrong on this guys? I hope I am wrong and this is easier then it sounds. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Richard-Dublin
AutoX

In "911 & Porche World" in the Dec 2002 issue they replaced the original mirrors on a pre '92 964 with "Aero/Teardrop" mirrors. They used genuine Porshe mirrors and they bolted straight on without having to remove any internal trim. They claim that this can be done for 911s dating back to the 70s. I hope they're right because I'm going to do it soon to my '89 3.2 Carerra!

In terms of wiring they state that it is reasonbably straightforward except that the teardrop mirrors have 6 wires while the original car wiring has only 5 (See connection no 4 below). These are the published wiring connections;
Car: Brown - Mirror: brown
Car: Grey/Green - Mirror: brown
Car: Black/Blue - Mirror: Blue
Car: Red/White - Mirror Red and White (NB. Red and White wires from new mirrors should be joined together)
Car: Blue/Grey - Mirror: Black

Obviously the car wire colours might be different depending on the model and bear in mind that "911 and Porsche World is a UK publication!

However in NOH20's case this should all be irrelevant as his cars wiring should match the wiring on the original mirrors that he wants to replace onto the car.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:13 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

If your car has the round clip attachment to hold the mirror glass on your OK, if you have the 3 prong version your not!
The round clip type was used from 1986 ish and has 2 motors, the 3 prong type has one motor and a solenoid to switch directions, you can get the early ones to work with an additional relay to act as the solenoid

Quick Reply: How hard to change door mounted mirrors?