Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Beware Pasadena Air-cooled Curtis Autenreith scammer, con-artist!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018 | 01:39 AM
Nathanbs
Track Day

Do these valve covers look resurfaced? Their mating surface is untouched. The light color is sealer not fresh metal

Old 09-14-2018 | 02:02 AM
Nathanbs
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nathanbs

Not sure where I got backwards from. Rocker shaft in wrong position before being tightened. To be clear it was tight it hadn't loosened and moved. How do you not see that If you truly adjusted the valves?

essentially like this but installed

Old 09-14-2018 | 08:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Okay that makes way more sense. He aligned with the thick side if the housing nit the thin side.

He was trying to fix very common rocker shaft oil leaks.
I forgot how long after he did the work this was checked but something you should know
These things walk !!
I rebuilt my engine then not even 1k later i had an oil leak i did not expect. Went to readjust valves after build and sure enough the shaft had walked like that. Still tight. But they can walk out.
Not defending him. Just saying it can happen.
The covers were certainly not machined likely sanded down as i see someone used black sealant before as there is some remaining on the cam housings.
None should be used. If it doesn't seal , machine them flat and use 993 gaskets or replace them.
Old 09-14-2018 | 09:54 AM
Nathanbs
Track Day

Originally Posted by theiceman
Okay that makes way more sense. He aligned with the thick side if the housing nit the thin side.

He was trying to fix very common rocker shaft oil leaks.
I forgot how long after he did the work this was checked but something you should know
These things walk !!
I rebuilt my engine then not even 1k later i had an oil leak i did not expect. Went to readjust valves after build and sure enough the shaft had walked like that. Still tight. But they can walk out.
Not defending him. Just saying it can happen.
The covers were certainly not machined likely sanded down as i see someone used black sealant before as there is some remaining on the cam housings.
None should be used. If it doesn't seal , machine them flat and use 993 gaskets or replace them.
I drove the car 10 miles after the questionable service. The valve covers are a bit of an illusion. The black is the raw oxidized magnesium and the light almost fresh metal loooking portion is a light gray sealant. Yes I know no sealant should be used. I replaced the valve covers this go around with a proper mechanic for less money than I was charged to “resurface” and sea the old ones. I was not explained that is what they would be doing
Old 09-14-2018 | 10:14 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

I drove the car 10 miles after the questionable service.
That rocker shaft probably didn't walk out in 10 miles. It would be pretty easy to miss the rocker out of position if you either, didn't care about what you were doing, or weren't familiar with 911 rocker shafts (new kid in the shop working on it?). Not defending the shop for missing it, but not super surprised it was missed if you were receiving slightly below average work. The first time you have one of them walk on you, it certainly becomes something you check at every valve adjustment.
Old 09-14-2018 | 10:55 AM
Nathanbs
Track Day

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
That rocker shaft probably didn't walk out in 10 miles. It would be pretty easy to miss the rocker out of position if you either, didn't care about what you were doing, or weren't familiar with 911 rocker shafts (new kid in the shop working on it?). Not defending the shop for missing it, but not super surprised it was missed if you were receiving slightly below average work. The first time you have one of them walk on you, it certainly becomes something you check at every valve adjustment.
yeah I would have to agree that Caleb coming from LA Porsche Dismantlers wouldn’t necessarily know his way around troubleshooting and properly repairing a Porsche. I imagine he’s fantastic on taking them apart lol
Old 09-14-2018 | 11:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Yup i agree not in 10 miles. I had one walk and if i see ANY oil leak i am checking those things !
Even if its my other car leaking oil !!
Old 03-06-2019 | 07:55 PM
Nathanbs
Track Day

*UPDATE* After a sneaky last second postponement by Curt we finally had our day in court and i received a judgement for slightly more than i was extorted for. Judge didn't appear to entertain my scratched door costs. Before 30 days had elapsed I received a notice of appeal which is allowed in CA without even a valid reason or new evidence. Ready to go to appeal and low and behold I receive a another postponement notice. At this point its laughable about what a scumbag Curt Autenrieth is. I would venture to guess he's in his 60's or 70's? Serious buyer beware with this guy. Get a life.

Last edited by Nathanbs; 03-07-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2019 | 07:07 PM
Nathanbs
Track Day

Friday I had my day in court(again). To remind you guys I had won the initial small claims case for about $3200 but then the D-bag appealed it. Well guess what I won again. Essentially the judgement of $2800 was my full repair bill minus the fuel sender which I had always admitted was ok. This time Curt, The king D-bag himself showed up in addition to Caleb. I could not imagine the volumes of lies and rather ridiculous stories and scenarios that these two tag teamed up there under oath I'll remind you. I guess they had nothing to lose but to throw a hail mary of bullcrap and hope that the judge would buy that I'm the liar and they are the victims. In hindsight I should have been better prepared for it but luckily the judge saw Curt and Caleb for what they are, Liars and Thiefs. Wish me luck now in collecting the money LOL. To be honest this has been very redeeming for me so whatever happens now I'll be ok. Especially hearing them up there telling the judge how much I have "slandered" their business and how much it has taken a toll on them. Out front of the courthouse Curt had the guts to tell me that I will get mine. I laughed and yelled back that he was much closer to a coronary blockage than I was.
Old 04-09-2019 | 09:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Winning the settlement is one thing. Collecting is another.
Old 04-11-2019 | 04:13 PM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Who cares about the cash (never going to see it prob), it is worth 3200 bucks to beat them in a court room in front of others. I think it was the year 2000 and I had just moved back to Atlanta. I had a 944s that I had picked up but was consuming oil like crazy. I went to AutoAtlanta for the first time. Good god what a nightmare that was. George Hussey totally screwed me over. Long story short, it took over a month and I had a repair bill of 4k and they had done nothing to my car. NOTHING! I was young and had paid before they brought my car around. My interior work that was on the invoice wasn't done, nor the bumper shock (it was still pushed in). I argued but they had my money already. I took it to another shop and they said it didn't look as if the rod bearings were touched. I didn't get a new coolant tank. I learned very quickly to never use them for service.

A couple of years later I saw an 84 coupe listed for 14k. It was a great little driver. I didn't listen to my inner voice saying "don't do business with AutoAtlanta again!". I went up and George gave me a test RIDE. He wouldn't allow me to actually drive the car. I told him I liked the car and wanted to buy it and that I would go get a check from the bank. He gave me the run around about the owner was in Iraq and he was waiting for the title. I called him for a month every couple of days until finally someone told me they had sold the car weeks prior. I talked to George and he acted like I was crazy and that he never had said anything about the owner being in Iraq. They sold the car for 15k. I told him that I would have given him 17k for the car.

That dude is insane and I will never go back there ever again. I wonder if he is still selling an hour of 914 technical phone sex time on ebay.

Don't ever pay the bill without checking the car out. That is why I won't ever take any of my cars to a shop ever again. I will never leave my car in the hands of someone other than body/paint work.
Old 04-11-2019 | 05:24 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Friday I had my day in court(again). To remind you guys I had won the initial small claims case for about $3200 but then the D-bag appealed it. Well guess what I won again. Essentially the judgement of $2800 was my full repair bill minus the fuel sender which I had always admitted was ok. This time Curt, The king D-bag himself showed up in addition to Caleb. I could not imagine the volumes of lies and rather ridiculous stories and scenarios that these two tag teamed up there under oath I'll remind you. I guess they had nothing to lose but to throw a hail mary of bullcrap and hope that the judge would buy that I'm the liar and they are the victims. In hindsight I should have been better prepared for it but luckily the judge saw Curt and Caleb for what they are, Liars and Thiefs. Wish me luck now in collecting the money LOL. To be honest this has been very redeeming for me so whatever happens now I'll be ok. Especially hearing them up there telling the judge how much I have "slandered" their business and how much it has taken a toll on them. Out front of the courthouse Curt had the guts to tell me that I will get mine. I laughed and yelled back that he was much closer to a coronary blockage than I was.
Congrats on the victory. I'm sure the judge made the right decision based on the evidence.

And thanks on behalf of the rest of the world for fighting for it rather than just letting it go. I bet those guys have ripped off many people and just got away with it. The few times bad guys get called on stuff is what keeps people like that honest when they don't have to be.
Old 04-13-2019 | 12:05 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Out front of the courthouse Curt had the guts to tell me that I will get mine. .
You should sue him for threatening you.
OR get the police involved. Restrainer order, etc.

Quick Reply: Beware Pasadena Air-cooled Curtis Autenreith scammer, con-artist!