Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turn key and... nothing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:00 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turn key and... nothing

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what is happening here on my 77. Drove it Friday evening, ran great no issues. Tried to start today and nothing happens at all when I turn the key. Hazard lights work, light in the frunk works, and after about 30' on the battery tender, it is signalling that battery is fully charged.

No fuses are blown on the main panel, and nothing on the ignition switch looks amiss. Anywhere else I should check?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:34 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I've seen this on a buddies 77. Took apart the ignition lock. Turns out the ignition cylinder connects to the ignition switch via a very thin blade of metal that comes off the back of the cylinder and interfaces with the switch. This blade had sheared off. As such turning the key had no effect on the switch causing the symptoms you describe. You might want to check that out. Not an easy task to remove the ignition lock by the way.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
I've seen this on a buddies 77. Took apart the ignition lock. Turns out the ignition cylinder connects to the ignition switch via a very thin blade of metal that comes off the back of the cylinder and interfaces with the switch. This blade had sheared off. As such turning the key had no effect on the switch causing the symptoms you describe. You might want to check that out. Not an easy task to remove the ignition lock by the way.
Thank you for the post. It looks like I have to drill out the rivits to get the ignition cylinder out, fun. Gonna try a new battery tomorrow, if that doesn't work I'll give this a shot and see if it helps.
Thanks again
Old 09-03-2018, 04:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

first, be sure the 5 pin plug in the firewall is seated well
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by r911
first, be sure the 5 pin plug in the firewall is seated well
Thanks, will add that to the list.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Finally getting things checked off the list. Replaced the ignition switch which was a pain in the ***, and nothing. Checked all of the connections under the dash and through the firewall, also no dice. The battery is good, and the hazarda and interior clock work fine, just nothing when I turn the key.

Another symptom that happened the last drive was that the windshield wipers turned on on their own. I read that weird things like this were a symptom of a bad ignition switch but maybe something else in my case.

Any ideas on where to look next?
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

gnd strap & other grounds
Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by r911
gnd strap & other grounds
Thanks I will give those another look. Electrical gremlins are by far my least favorite to deal with.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:54 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

but don't just look - there may be corrosion hidden underneath - take the connection apart, clean, reassemble with dielectric grease (at least the strap on the trans.)

my worst electrical gremlin: the nut for the connection on the back of the alternator had come loose and still transmitted current but I had all sorts of low battery issues but just episodically - I spent a long tie making lists and checking things off; finally a friend had to help me think thru it Sherlock Holmes style ("When everything obvious is ruled out, it must be whatever crazy thing is left" or something like that)

Took the alt. out and there was the nut half off the stud letting the connector bounce around
Old 12-03-2018, 12:54 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Well the issue has been solved. After replacing the ignition switch still nothing, so I went around and checked every little connection that i could find between the battery and the rear bumper and I'm happy to say that things are now working as they should. I may add this to my annual check list.

Thank you r911 for the help in getting a handle on this!

Quick Reply: Turn key and... nothing