Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa tips for the newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:34 AM
Owl
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa tips for the newbie

Any advise for the targa virgins would be greatly appreciated. I’m seriously thinking about pulling the trigger and feel a little nervous. Any good and bad experience and tips are welcome. My buy is an 87 3.2.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 01:21 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a late 80's targa and loved it. No need to be nervous as the parts, rubber, etc. to rejuvenate the top are readily available and not expensive. Have fun.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:31 PM
dinnyin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While not quite the same as the revamped 88 targa, MHarris is right: no need to be nervous like with the old ones.
They're adjustable in several ways so if you have leaks or noise or whatever find someone that knows how to properly adjust it before you start looking at a new set of seals or to rebuild it etc.

Last edited by dinnyin; 08-18-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: accidentally a word
Old 08-18-2018, 02:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As noted above, I’m one generation newer with a 964 Targa and I agree that there’s nothing that should prevent you from enjoying one. It’s one of the few cars that can provide a coupe experience on very cold/hot days and a convertible experience on the nice days. The tops aren’t finicky as long as they’re in good shape.

My top was redone by the previous owner by someone who didn’t have experience and I just sent it out to be restored. It wasn’t folding correctly and the internal webbing wasn’t connected to the vinyl so the vinyl lifted in the front/rear. This resulted in annoying wind noise at speeds above 65. I get my top back next week from Dan at carsinc.com, should be good as new.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Targa might be the ugly duckling of the trio. You either love them or dislike them.
They might be the best of both worlds though - the benefits of a convertible, but safer and with the top off quieter and less 'backwash' of wind than the convertible.
I've had no problems with my targa top and there are plenty or resources for tweaking or revamping them.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Owl
Intermediate

Thank you all for your comments. I’ll send some pics once I pick her up.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:56 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If you do need to do a top rebuild, I can highly recommend Dave Brown in Colorado. He just delivered my top after a rebuild. At around $1750 it was a bargain given the quality of fit/finish he provided.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RShepHorse
The Targa might be the ugly duckling of the trio. You either love them or dislike them.
They might be the best of both worlds though - the benefits of a convertible, but safer and with the top off quieter and less 'backwash' of wind than the convertible.
I've had no problems with my targa top and there are plenty or resources for tweaking or revamping them.
UGLY DUCKLING??!! You see my sig pic?! lol

Agreed on best of both worlds, I absolutely love it!

Here's a top on pic from today on Shelter Island in the Hamptons.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Owl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
UGLY DUCKLING??!! You see my sig pic?! lol

Agreed on best of both worlds, I absolutely love it!

Here's a top on pic from today on Shelter Island in the Hamptons.
thank you all. I pulled the trigger yesterday and am shipping the car back home. Really looking forward on enjoying what’s left of the summer and the colors on the fall. Once it’s here, I’ll share some pictures and follow up with some more questions.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Only Tip I have is leave the handles in !!!!!!

When you get in the car and you cant lift the sun visors because the handles are rotated in the wrong position , its a mechanical control that tells you , you don't have the roof locked in place.

I know of quite a few people who have been distracted while putting the roof in and not had it locked in .. it flies out at a remarkably low speed.

its usually a very costly mistake, not to mention dangerous.

Quick Reply: Targa tips for the newbie