Stories: Encounters, Cops, Admiration, Camaraderie

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM
hrennry
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stories: Encounters, Cops, Admiration, Camaraderie

Hi All,

Will soon be the owner of an 84 Targa and I was hoping people could share a few stories about on the road experiences with your air-cooled 911. Examples of what I'm curious about below.

Does appreciation for these things get you out of tickets, phone numbers from women?
Have you had any cool unplanned run ins with other owners out on the road?
I'm in my mid 20s and paid less than a new Honda Civic for my p-car, will people still think, "brat"?
Have you ever gotten a job through a connection you made in 911 community?
What type of people should I avoid?
Advice on being extremely humble with the car?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:10 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The only unsolicited attention my 1986 targa gets is from men.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

To be honest this is a tech forum , this is where people come for technical help on their vehicles. Specs , troubleshooting help , there is a pic thread though you might be interested in that resides in here. This is not so much a "fan boy" forum as some of the other forums have. Most of us are not in our 20s anymore and moved past a lot of those topics.
I would suggest you pay for a subscription ( not that much really ) that will give you access to the off topic forum which many of these discussions take place, or find which regional forum is closest to you . Many of us are part of two forums, the tech forum to discuss 911 specific issues , and the regional forum where we go to discuss local events, and other sometimes non Porsche related stuff.

you should look for a "Porsche 101" thread from a few years back , gives you a flavor of the forum.

The one piece of advice I will give you , that you are likely to ignore anyway .. You already own a 911, you have nothing to prove, you will have all kinds of civics with fart cans for mufflers trying to bait you , let em go , they are still young and trying to prove themselves. Let them rip away at the light , then just pull away slowly like they mean nothing.

Last edited by theiceman; 08-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:00 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

welcome, enjoy the car for the car, seems like you will, most enjoyable experiences I've had are with PCA Club members, road trips, cars and coffees, etc. I think it's important to read up and learn all you can about Porsche cars, history, models, racing legacy, etc. And Iceman is right, you will be baited by all kinds of stuff out there, ignore them.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Advice: When someone tells you your car is a "Glorified Volkswagen" tell them "You're right!"

Advice: When someone tells you your hotrod is "Not Correct" beat them up.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

This is not a purely technical forum, and the question is completely appropriate.

I was driving across country to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, pulling my race trailer with a big Porsche emblem on the side. Music blaring in the pickup, I have the cruise control set to 76 MPH for a 75 MPH speed limit. In the middle of Nebraska, a trooper pulls me over and asks if I knew I was doing 78 MPH. I reply, "Well, I guess that tells me how accurate cruise control is; it was set at 76." Then he asks "What's in the trailer." I reply, "A racecar." "Really, can I see it? How fast will it go?" Bingo! So, he either pulled me over to check for Mexicans or he was bored and just wanted to see the Porsche racecar. We shot the **** for a few minutes, and he took off. Nice guy.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
This is not a purely technical forum, and the question is completely appropriate.

I was driving across country to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, pulling my race trailer with a big Porsche emblem on the side. Music blaring in the pickup, I have the cruise control set to 76 MPH for a 75 MPH speed limit. In the middle of Nebraska, a trooper pulls me over and asks if I knew I was doing 78 MPH. I reply, "Well, I guess that tells me how accurate cruise control is; it was set at 76." Then he asks "What's in the trailer." I reply, "A racecar." "Really, can I see it? How fast will it go?" Bingo! So, he either pulled me over to check for Mexicans or he was bored and just wanted to see the Porsche racecar. We shot the **** for a few minutes, and he took off. Nice guy.
oh well I guess its been misnamed all these years " air/oil cooled technical discussion area"

But I guess there are Fan Boys wherever you go.. have at it .Half of what you fan boys right is Madeup BS anyway, and the other half is wild exaggeration. That's why tech forums are so popular, they deal with reasonable people facts and data. The other stuff is made up "blah blah blah " I can tell the above is likely 90% BS.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:07 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In person - a lot of people are genuinely interested in the vehicle.
On the road... it is sometimes an ***#0L3 magnet...
But that's because lot of people don't understand that you wouldn't own an old air cooled porsche if you wanted to flaunt your status or screw around with other drivers on the road.
You own an old porsche so that things like figuring out how to change the oil and swap out CV joints and even just get the windshield [and my gauges] to defrost add an element of adventure to a great driving experience.
I think people here ARE fans of these cars- fans of the cars themselves, fans of the smell of 35 year old leather, crushable oil cooling lines, and mysterious clicks in the dashboard that always occur early in a drive,
I DONT think you'll find that people in this forum are fans of being "porsche owners" the way people who drive later models are.

I only wave to other old 911s

Quick Reply: Stories: Encounters, Cops, Admiration, Camaraderie