Speedo gauge bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:09 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo gauge bouncing

Hell All,

I could not believe this happend again, I have a 1987 with 44K miles and the speedo sender has been replaced 2 times already, 1st time by the PO and 2nd time by me, I just replaced it last summer.

I have not drive the car lately and this monring I start the car and go for a quick drive, I noticed the speedo guage bouncing left and right, now stuck at 160MPH

I remember some one on the group refer to possible bad ground or bad connection , I did unplug the speedo cable sender and clean , plug them back, but still does not work

Could some one please show me where to check for ground, I don't think the speedo sender is defect, but who know

Thanks
TC
Old 01-14-2004, 06:13 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly Tc if you haven't driven the car for some while charge the battery and see if that helps. Next clean as many electrical contacts as you can get to , I know this sounds bizarre but I had a similar problem and cured it by making sure things like the gear box ground strap was corrosion free and tight and also as a precaution I cleaned the ground straps for the plugs and the coil etc. Also check the speedo sender connections if you haven't already but like I say start with a fully charged battery.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally posted by bones
Firstly Tc if you haven't driven the car for some while charge the battery and see if that helps. Next clean as many electrical contacts as you can get to , I know this sounds bizarre but I had a similar problem and cured it by making sure things like the gear box ground strap was corrosion free and tight and also as a precaution I cleaned the ground straps for the plugs and the coil etc. Also check the speedo sender connections if you haven't already but like I say start with a fully charged battery.
I agree I had this problem on both of my SC's. Bad connection and low charge does it most of the time. How is the tach responding?
Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 PM
TC_SJ
Instructor

Thanks for all the info, I have the battery float charger plug in at all time while car not in use.

The speedo gauge is working fine now. I will try to clean the gear box ground strap. Could some one please let me know where it's ?

Thanks
TC
Old 01-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Right above the rear of the floor pan. If I remember correctly, it is to the left of where all of the junk comes out of the center tunnel (e-cables, fuel line,shifter linkage ect.).

Quick Reply: Speedo gauge bouncing