Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:33 PM
my911.net
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy oil overfill - now losing oil

Hi guys and gals

re. 1988 3.2 911.

I am afraid I have cocked up.... Three days ago or so I was topping up the oil and overfilled it by about an inch on the dipstick (I was under understanding that the full swing on the topping meter was about 5 litres so I poured in about 4 litres :-(. I checked it then and found it to be too much, but not really knowing of a convenient way or removing the excess oil and expecting to simply "burn" away, I left it.

The car has been losing more oil than usual - more drips on the the carport in the mornings, and also there has been some being burned as I can smell it inside too. But today I saw what seemed like a big "puddle" on the ground and on checking the dipstick, I found it to be below the half way line of the markers.

This really worried me as usually it would take months to lose this amount of oil...

...so the question is: have I done irreversable damage somewhere? What should I do now - please tell me someone I dont have to have the whole engine out, etc. etc, etc...

Best regards and hoping to hear not too bad news from you experts.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:13 PM
anh911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elias,
you need to get the excess oil out of the system. Either pull the plug and try to replace when enough has drained (Good luck, this usually results in a shower) or let it all drain into a CLEAN pan and refil. Or drain and refill with fresh. Likely what has happened is that oil has gotten into the breather and from there into the both the motor and on the floor. You could also be losing it from the main seals if the level is high enough. But first things first, drain out the excess asap.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,094 Likes on 2,869 Posts

Another easy and clean way to remove some oil is to buy a cheap hand pump for filling transmission oil and put the tubing into the oil tank and pump some out into a container - works great and only $4 at the local auto parts store.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you are checking your oil with the engine hot and running on a level surface, you didn't say so sorry if that sounds patronising.

Quick Reply: oil overfill - now losing oil