Druck Gauge at 0

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM
mattypv50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Druck Gauge at 0

Newbie question. 83SC.

The druck gauge used to work perfectly. No issues at all. I had some work done on the ac - system recharged and some dryer piece behind the steering wheel needed to be replaced.

The gauge now just reads 0 all the time. When I start the car it goes from below 0 (resting) jumps a bit to 0 but never above. Drove the car for about an hour tonight and no bad symptoms at all. Drives exactly the same. No warning lights ect. Gauge just never moves. All other gauges work great.

1. Does this just sound like a gauge issue - nothing big to worry about
2. What's the best way to start and diagnose this. Attached are a couple pics of the sender unit (I think it's the unit).

Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 AM
floatss
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Mat,
It is probably a poor connection and I suggest you pull and clean the wire lug on the sencor in your 2nd photo.
Regards
Chris
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
mattypv50
Advanced

Follow up question.

From my understanding it's a sump system. So when I'm stopped and the car is warm my oil level gauge jumps up and reads in the middle which means oil level is good. When I start driving the oil level drops to red which to me means the oil has left and is circulating around the engine which then should make the druck gauge rise.

Am I correct in this? If so, it seems it would be a druck gauge / sender issue and not an actual oil circulation issue.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:18 PM
floatss
Advanced

Matt,
The 911 has a huge oil tank separated from the engine sump. In fact, the engine does not really have a sump. The tank(and it’s dip stick) is fitted in the right rear fender, called a dry sump, like a race car or an old radial aircraft engine. Oil quantity is checked at normal operating temp, at idle speed, after idling for a minute or so(IIRC the book says ‘idle for two minutes’) This is the only time to check the oil level and also the only time the oil quantity gauge will be reading correct in an old Porsche.
Therefore the short answer is ‘yes and no’
Clean the oil pressure switch contact and read up on the oil quantity check and let us know what you find.
Regards
Chris
Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

Okay do this
Ignition on
Disconnect spade connector on sender . Then touch it to ground while peering through back window
Gauge should go from zero to full deflection
F it does the sender is bad. If it doesn't its your gauge or wiring
Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 PM
mattypv50
Advanced

Fixed.

Took the gauge out of the dash - pushed some wires in...started it up and 4 bars on startup. Nice!

So if this helps anyone else in the future as most posts are about the gauge being pegged to 5....

Symptoms:
1. Druck Press Gauge at resting position when car off
2. Turn ignition and gauge comes up the 0 mark and oil light is on
3. Start the car and the gauge doesn't move but oil light off and car is running fine

Solution:
1. Gauge wires in dash were lose / bad connection
Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 AM
floatss
Advanced

There you go, well done Matt.
It is normally a bad or dirty connection at the back.

Quick Reply: Druck Gauge at 0