Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater Control Cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004 | 05:04 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Question Heater Control Cables

Hi, I need to find out a couple of things about the manual controled heater cables.
1. Do the new cables come complete with the outer jacket cover, or are they just wire cable cores?
2. If they don't come with the outer jacket cover, where do you get those?
The reason I ask is the drivers side cable broke at the control lever. When I tried to pull the cable core to see if it would operate the flap valve, it would barely move. I then looked at the cable at the flap box and found that the cable and cover tries to move down at the drivers flapper box. The core seems to be frozen into the cover. The flapper valve works fine, just the cable is not able to move it, being the cover is trying to move also. The spring pulls valve back open so I know its free moving. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2004 | 09:11 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Slantnose:

I thought I had a broken cable in my 78 SC a few years ago.

I took everything apart to find that the had a cable kink near the control unit in caused by the plastic sheathing searing off of the metal casing at the clamp that keeps the metal sheath from moving.

As the cables are NOT available from Porsche without the entire head unit, I visited my local Porsche dismantler. I think he wanted $20 for one cable or $50 for the three cables and a pristine head unit. I bought the whole thing.

The replacement of the cable was a hastle....The unit works great now.

Good luck.

marc
Old 01-12-2004 | 10:44 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

My drivers side cable core broke about 3/8" from where it goes into the tube in the tunnel, on the other end, the core and housing are trying to move, the end of the housing or cover jacket has come loose from the grommet on the end of the cable housing where it attaches to the flap box. I am going to pull it off today to see if I can refit the cover to the grommet, and also free the core inside the cover, then I will know if the core is still long enough to work without having to replace cable core. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Heater Control Cables