Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

89 3.2 engine swap - many questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Brian M
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 3.2 engine swap - many questions

This is my first web board post, so sorry if there are too many questions in this post.

I have an 89 Carrera 3.2 with 190+K miles on it and know that a rebuild is
in it's future. I want to do the rebuild myself, and while I know that can
be a subject of great debate (you can do it...no, don't even try it!) that
is not the point of this post.

My car is my daily driver, and in order to keep it that way, my plan is to
get a another 3.2 to install in the car while I rebuild my current engine.
I see this as the best of both worlds - keep the use of the car, and get to
take my time to do the rebuild right.

Obviously the easiest transplant would be from an 89, but would the 87 or 88
g50 motors be pretty much a direct swap, or will there be dme issues, etc.?

Looking at a few websites for companies that deal with used parts (dC auto,
LA dismantlers) it looks like an engine in the 100k mile range is around
$5000, plus or minus $1000. I also ran across the website for German Auto
Dismantlers, which seems to have a good selection and is only a couple of
hours from my house. Anyone out there had any dealings with them? Any
suggestions for other companies to look at, especially in the southeast?
Anyone out there considering selling their 3.2 in the near future?

Fortunately my car is still running pretty good so there is not a rush to
get an engine. I am pretty sure I have ring issues on the number one
cylinder based on compression and leakdown tests done at 125k miles, and the
buildup on the spark plug when I swap it out every couple of thousand miles.
However, my oil consumption is starting to go up and I'm getting a little
more smoke at start up so I think finding another engine by mid spring would
be quite prudent.

Thanks in advance for any help, comments, etc.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Actually if I was in your shoes, I would look for a 3.6 from a later car - 1992 or later. Would bolt onto your g-50 trans with minimal hassle. The 3.2 has about 217 HP - the 3.6 stock had 250 - the later vram had 282... Then sell your 3.2 or rebuild. My guess though is once you have a 3.6 in there - you would not want to go back to the 3.2
Old 01-08-2004, 11:33 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh and before you did anything I would buy Wayne Dempsey's Engine rebuild book...
Old 01-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Brian M
AutoX

Jeremy,
Thanks for the comments - I've been reading through Wayne's book and its been quite enjoyable, and a confidence boost that I can do this.

I've kicked around the 3.6 idea but think I'm going to stick with the 3.2, at least as a starting point. I may go with larger p&c's, but I still have a lot of evaluating to do.

I know this is heresy, but I'm not looking for huge horsepower (yet). If that was the case, I would probably find a turbo to start with. Or an early 70's to make an RS clone. I'm looking to keep this car as the everyday driver - not to aggressive with any of the items - engine, suspension, gearing, etc. Maybe the next car.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:30 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian,

Yes, you can use a 3.2 from an '87 or '88 for your car. Great daily driver. Good luck with your project.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L, wide body conversion
Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Brian M
AutoX

Thanks for the reply, Richard. From what I have learned, the 87 and 88 motor is pretty much and remove and replace. The 84 to 86 motor takes a little more work, but nothing unmanagable.

Three four items that stuck out was that the injection system has a different configurtation, but the late 80's would work if the 84 through 86 didn't come with it.

The clutch/flywheel package is different, but on an engine of this age, the clutch needs to go anyway, and while doing that, might as well go with a lighter weight clutch. Doing so would require a new chip, which is another item requiring replacement to make a 915 Carrera work with the g50.

Finally, there is some bell housing studs that will have to be swapped/modified to bolt it all back together.

Still not convinced that these are issue I want to deal with the rebuild no. 2, but it could then become sell no.1 one and find another engine for rebuild no 2. Oh the options to consider

Even with looking over what configuration to make the garage, the options are oh so plentiful. I guess its just a matter of in depth evaluation, commiting to the final decisions and seeing them through. (You know, it sounds so simple, but has got to be one of the most complicated things to carryout!)
Old 01-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Brian,
Sounds like you have enough time to find a nice 87-89 3.2 and stick with that. Why bring more headaches into the mix? my.02

Rick
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Brian M
AutoX

Rick,
That is definitely my first choice. My first plan was try an 89 to 89 conversion, then was quite pleased to find out the 87 and 88's were plug and play. (I thought I had read in passing about a year ago that was not the case but apparently I got my threads crossed). I am focused on the g50 3.2's, but it's nice to know I'm not locked in without resorting to major modifications.

What would really be nice would be something that came up from lister David Anderson (I think) who had a little incident at VIR and was selling his complete drivetrain and aftermarket exhaust for around $6500. That thing must have went fast because I inquired about 30 minutes after he posted and never got a reply.

Wish me luck (and perseverance!) and keep the comments coming
Old 01-16-2004, 05:24 AM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just find something to drive while you rebuild your engine.
Watch the newspaper classifieds daily and when you spot a good deal on a $5-8K Lexus or something, buy it. Drive it until you complete the rebuild, then sell it for $5500-9K.

I do this every fall when I store my Cab. I drive 10 year old luxury cars as winter beaters, and make a grand or so.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by AHEDAU
Why not just find something to drive while you rebuild your engine.
Watch the newspaper classifieds daily and when you spot a good deal on a $5-8K Lexus or something, buy it. Drive it until you complete the rebuild, then sell it for $5500-9K.
This is actually very good advice. It will allow you the time to do "while you're in theres" with the engine out of the car.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Brian M
AutoX

I've kicked around that idea, but the wife is not to keen on adding a Ducati to the stable at this time. Besides, the thought of driving something other than my 911 is just not that appealling.

Quick Reply: 89 3.2 engine swap - many questions