Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any A/C Experts Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 05:13 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any A/C Experts Out There?

I've got a Euro SC that has an under-dash A/C system in need of some service. While doing some research, I was surprised by the number of folks removing the factory A/C systems from their cars, so I became interested in possibly removing my under-dash system, buying a factory system, and installing it in my SC.

Has anyone attempted this? Can the A/C system from, say, a '86, be installed in a '78? What's involved?

Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

You could do it but it would be a big, expensive job. If you really have to have A/C sell the car and buy one with a factory A/C. If you love the car you can take the plunge or do what most of us do and forget about the A/C.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Joe Abbagnaro
Track Day

There is a guy at the <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com" target="_blank">www.pelicanparts.com</a> 911
board that know a great deal about AC.... He is R22tech ..... Give it a try.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:19 PM
R22tech
Advanced

Joe- thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes, I do know alot about a/c systems, it's what I do for a living. That said, I am not familiar with the under dash a/c systems so I won't try and speculate on RBC's situation. I will say, as I always do, a properly functioning a/c system on a 911 works adequetly. Most of the so called "upgrades" aren't really necessary. The reason they are recommended by so many is because the refrigeration system is so complicated that many find it easier, and sometimes cheaper, to just replace everything hoping it will work well, knowing it will work better than a broken a/c system. The best recommendation I can give to anyone with a/c problems is to find a competent , professional a/c technician that is willing to take the time to diagnose and repair your problems. This might be a hard find- I'll admit that unless I am slow, I don't always go the full mile on a diagnosis, which may result in a part being changed that could have been saved. Why? I would probably charge you MORE due to the time involved in a complicated diagnosis and the work lost as a result of spending the time on 1 job. These are the cold hard facts. If you want your 911's a/c repaired right- find the good tech. and tell him, "Hey, I just want my system to operate properly and I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I'm willing to pay you a fair price to get this done, and I realize it might take a significant amount of time to get it diagnosed and repaired properly. When would be a convenient time for me to bring the car in?" I believe you will be amazed at the response and caring that goes into fixing your car. And once it is running properly, get it serviced evry year by the same guy. You'll have a "cool" 911 for many, many years without any trouble. It's not rocket science, just too many variables that need to be inspected. Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

pre 78 factory installations are underdash as well.

Now you can fit the newer compressor , condensator and evaporator as they are just bolt ins.

Installing the post 86 Instrumentcarrier is massive work yet some people just hack up the old carrier to install the newer stuff ( seen on ebay ).

The newer rotary vane compressors are a benefit "worth" the upgrade ( lighter, smother and less drag ) plus new high performance condensors and new barrier type hoses improve the system too.

Yet I´m with R22 tech.

I think your main problem is that you have a aftermarked add on unit with a small compressor and only one ( engine lid ) mountet condensor.
They don´t perform like factory installations and even those are basically now 30 years old and made for european tastes ( Dr. Porsches taste ).

Grüsse
Old 03-11-2002, 12:22 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not an AC expert, but my '73 has "factory" AC which is an underdash, after market style. MAny early cars used this method to get AC installed and as others stated, they have their limitations. When i purchased the car, the system was not functioning and, being in Oregon, I opted to remove the compressor and condensor to free up space (access) in the engine compartment. I have seen numerous posts about getting your AC operating and they all show it to be expensive.

Since you live in Florida, I would think you want a working AC and it would be worth the $$. As the techs said, find someone who specializes in Porsche AC to diagnose the system and make it the best it could be.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Any A/C Experts Out There?