Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911SC - How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 AM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think $55K will buy an absolutely top-condition SC, and should get you deep into 3.2 and even 964 territory, if that floats your boat. But if it's an SC you want--and there are good reasons for choosing that model--you should be able to get a very nice car indeed.

Every time I think $55K is too much for one of these cars, I remind myself that (1) they aren't making any more of them, and (2) it's easy to spend that much on a mid-tier pickup truck these days.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

What one person considers top condition and what I might consider top condition are not the same.... $55K were mostly junk cars in my honest opinion. $65K will buy you a top-condition car.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:17 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid around that for my 78' and prior to that I was in a few Caymans. The thing that struck me was that compared to the 2014 Cayman I was driving at the time, the 78' was a BARGAIN. A classic 911 in excellent condition, a rare amazing sports car that could be used as a daily driver? TAKE MY MONEY NOW! First though, you must love all that is the classic 911. You need to PREFER it to modern cars. I live near a showroom in Chicago that has Bugattis, Lamborghinis, Ferraris and even a 918 as of this week. I drive past without envy. I love my car. I love how it drives, and I love how it looks. I could care less for speed or the amount of concern that comes with driving one of those paddle shifting super cars. If you truly love everything about the classic 911, then paying whatever you can afford makes sense. Happy hunting.

Sher-
Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fairview
In the 911 world, I’ve learned that I am much better off somewhat overpaying for an excellent example, than getting a bargain on a mediocre car.

As far as the market, the SC series is still in the sweet spot for buyers. All the basics are there for the SC to increase in desirability and value in the future, however, so the sooner you jump in the better.

Knowlegable Porsche owners know that a good SC is a whole lot of fun for the money, and isn’t an expensive mistress long term. It doesn’t seem likely that the demand for a nice SC will go down. This is a classic sports car that is perfectly capable on modern roads, simple to maintain, has superb parts availability, and is thrilling to hear as it accelerates through the gears.

So is $55,000 too much to ask for an excellent SC? If it is an original paint, original interior, low mileage, with good records, and good options, it’s in the ballpark. And even if too much, you would have simply bought a little too soon- the market will catch up.

Good luck in your search.

INDEED-
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fairview
In the 911 world, I’ve learned that I am much better off somewhat overpaying for an excellent example, than getting a bargain on a mediocre car.

As far as the market, the SC series is still in the sweet spot for buyers. All the basics are there for the SC to increase in desirability and value in the future, however, so the sooner you jump in the better.

Knowlegable Porsche owners know that a good SC is a whole lot of fun for the money, and isn’t an expensive mistress long term. It doesn’t seem likely that the demand for a nice SC will go down. This is a classic sports car that is perfectly capable on modern roads, simple to maintain, has superb parts availability, and is thrilling to hear as it accelerates through the gears.

So is $55,000 too much to ask for an excellent SC? If it is an original paint, original interior, low mileage, with good records, and good options, it’s in the ballpark. And even if too much, you would have simply bought a little too soon- the market will catch up.

Good luck in your search.
Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
+1 on not buying from the dealer.

As for how much is too much, it depends. I went to see a 74 911S (which in the pecking order is in the same ballpark as an SC), in a super rare color, which looked in great shape but TMU and no records. I passed on it due to the seller being difficult and it sold for full ask at $60k. A couple of years ago Sloan had a 4k mile SC for which they were asking 125k.
NOT ALWAYS... I was chasing my car for over a year. It was for sale by private owner and I was about to fly out to see the car when the seller decided to "hold on to it for a while" ... which was a good thing because I had a year left on my Cayman lease, and leaving early would of cost me big time. Still though, I wanted a car with specific options, or rather, without options, and that took some searching. So I kept looking and a year later the same seller puts the car back up for sale. Now I am in a great position to pull the trigger. I start to make plans to go see the car when BOOM, he sold it. I was crushed, the car was everything I wanted..no sunroof, no side mirror, no ac... DANG! Then a week later it turns up at Schmitt Daniel in St. Louis. Yes it was marked up, but I negotiated down and made the deal. Now here is where buying from a dealer might be a plus. A month after taking it home the tensioners went. Scmitt paid. Approx 2 months after that, the clutch went.... Schmitt paid. When I got the car there were no oil leaks. After putting miles on it I started to get a leak and it turned out to be the rear main seal. A costly job on its own, but very cheap when you are also replacing a clutch. So that got taken care of. If I had bought from the private party I probably would of been on my own. Schmitt took care of me because of their description of the car. SO... if you do your homework buying from a dealer can be a plus.

Sher-

Last edited by iFox; 07-25-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok everyone, I'm new to the forum (this is my first post), and I looking for similar guidance as the original post. I'm in my 40's and like probably most of you have wanted an "air-cooled" since I was five years old. I've waited a long time to make this happen, but didn't expect it to be now.

Well, after doing some casual looking, I stumbled across a SC from a classic dealer. I went to their dealership with one purpose. Test drive various air-cooled models and see which I liked best. I drove a couple SC's (one Targa), a 930, 993 4S, and just to make sure I crossed over and drove a '07 Carrera S that was actually less expensive than the SC. In the end, even though the SC wasn't as refined or as fast, there was just something about it and I ended up making a down payment to hold the vehicle.

It's not 55k, but it's up there. But here's the thing...it's clean. Has been repainted (in original color), seats are great, and tranny/clutch were replaced w/Porsche parts. The Fuchs are redone and are beautiful. The forward struts, bulbs, and a few other things were replaced as well. Needless to say, it looks and sounds fantastic (in fact, it actually sounded better than all the other models I drove - except the intoxicating sound of the 930 burping back to me on downshifts :-)). Mileage is 80k, and they have all owner records.

It's hard to think about the times when I could've had one of these for much less 10 years ago. I'm assuming this car may have always sold for a little more, because of it's condition. Based on this site...I think it's probably rated below excellent, and probably properly rated at very good. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...che-911-sc_3.0, which appears to put the car in the north of 45k value.

I'm not a mechanic so I'm not as comfortable looking and buying a car that I may not capture everything on my inspection and may find surprises later...that well...you get the idea.

It appears that most on this thread are of the opinion that 50k maybe worth it for the right car and well, "if you want it."

I have three questions...

1. Am I stupid, or is 50k for a clean, near 80k miles SC reasonable in today's Porsche market?

2. Will it keep appreciating or is it now going to be flat? If it's a keeper, I know it doesn't matter much.

3. Before this recent experience, I had only driven 964's and a Cayman S. The SC was pretty solid (better than the Targa), but I kinda thought it might be faster. I'm guessing it's a 0-60 of over six seconds...but I know you don't buy these cars for 0-60 times...if you did, you'd get the newer ones. The car did smell in the interior, and this is my main question.

Is this lawn mower type smell (kinda reminded me of the little cars at Disneyland), normal because of the carburetor? If it's normal and part of the air-cooled characteristics...that's good to know. The 993 didn't have the smell, but it is also a more modern cabin.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback, as I am making this decision as soon as today.

Thank you!

Last edited by skidowntown; 07-25-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by skidowntown
Ok everyone, I'm new to the forum (this is my first post), and I looking for similar guidance as the original post. I'm in my 40's and like probably most of you have wanted an "air-cooled" since I was five years old. I've waited a long time to make this happen, but didn't expect it to be now.

Well, after doing some casual looking, I stumbled across a SC from a classic dealer. I went to their dealership with one purpose. Test drive various air-cooled models and see which I liked best. I drove a couple SC's (one Targa), a 930, 993 4S, and just to make sure I crossed over and drove a '07 Carrera S that was actually less expensive than the SC. In the end, even though the SC wasn't as refined or as fast, there was just something about it and I ended up making a down payment to hold the vehicle.

It's not 55k, but it's up there. But here's the thing...it's clean. Has been repainted (in original color), seats are great, and tranny/clutch were replaced w/Porsche parts. The Fuchs are redone and are beautiful. The forward struts, bulbs, and a few other things were replaced as well. Needless to say, it looks and sounds fantastic (in fact, it actually sounded better than all the other models I drove - except the intoxicating sound of the 930 burping back to me on downshifts :-)). Mileage is 80k, and they have all owner records.

But more than $50k?

It's hard to think about the times when I could've had one of these for what 15K 10 years ago? I'm assuming this car may have always sold for a little more, because of it's condition. Based on this site...I think it's probably rated below excellent, and probably properly rated at very good. https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...che-911-sc_3.0, which appears to put the car in the north of 45k value.

I'm not a mechanic so I'm not as comfortable looking and buying a car that I may not capture everything on my inspection and may find surprises later...that well...you get the idea.

It appears that most on this thread are of the opinion that 50k maybe worth it for the right car and well, "if you want it."

I have three questions...

1. Am I stupid, or is 50k for a clean, near 80k miles SC reasonable in today's Porsche market?

2. Will it keep appreciating or is it now going to be flat? If it's a keeper, I know it doesn't matter much.

3. Before this recent experience, I had only driven 964's and a Cayman S. The SC was pretty solid (better than the Targa), but I kinda thought it might be faster. I'm guessing it's a 0-60 of over six seconds...but I know you don't buy these cars for 0-60 times...if you did, you'd get the newer ones. The car did smell in the interior, and this is my main question.

Is this lawn mower type smell (kinda reminded me of the little cars at Disneyland), normal because of the carburetor? If it's normal and part of the air-cooled characteristics...that's good to know. The 993 didn't have the smell, but it is also a more modern cabin.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback, as I am making this decision as soon as today.

Btw...the 993 was in the past my favorite, but it "misses" something from the interior. It drives amazing, but what I miss are the front fenders - (I have to have those)!

Thank you!
An SC should have fuel injection if being sold as original not carbs. The mower smell may be the interior if it's a gas smell, When doing a PPI sask them to check the fuel lines carefully as they can leak, crack and catch the car on fire.. An aircooled car in my opinion is not for everyone. They are not fast 0-60 cars if that is what you are looking for but are easy to work on and may be a great avenue for you to learn.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 PM
skidowntown
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speedster911
An SC should have fuel injection if being sold as original not carbs. The mower smell may be the interior if it's a gas smell, When doing a PPI sask them to check the fuel lines carefully as they can leak, crack and catch the car on fire.. An aircooled car in my opinion is not for everyone. They are not fast 0-60 cars if that is what you are looking for but are easy to work on and may be a great avenue for you to learn.
Thank you! I called the dealer about it. It’s a Porsche dealer and they are giving me a warranty for the first year since it’s one of their certified vehicles and they claim one of the cleanest they’ve seen. They just said the air-cooled has a unique smell. I’ll check it out again before full commitment.

Regarding 0-60, were these early 80’s cars impacted by the energy crisis like the vettes and mustangs of the same era? It looks like the base models just earlier may have been quicker...was this because of weight and less power?

While I’m not buying the car for the 0-60 quicks, I’m curious. I’ve still been told that while not the fastest, these are some of the funnest rides under 90 mph...”miles of smiles.”

Thanks again!

Last edited by skidowntown; 07-22-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

The switch from carbs to mfi to cis were to meet ever increasing emission specs. The sacrifice was power. The cars were tuned to meet these specs. That were stricter in NA even then. Euro cars have more hp
If you are buying this car for hp its for the wrong reason
These cars are tons of fun at any speed
Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 AM
skidowntown
Advanced

I love the car. I'm just wanting to make sure before I commit to 50k. I drove a 930, 993 4S, and '07 997 (all manuals) before once again going back to the SC. So hopefully that shows that I care more about the HP
The car comes from an official Porsche dealership that certifies classics. So in other words, it comes w/a year warranty, and they won't take just any car. They claim this one is a clean as any they've seen.

From the dealer:
"Extremely well maintained and service records were kept with the car since the first owner. The clutch assembly was replaced about 18,000 miles ago and the transmission was rebuild about 13,000 miles ago. The technicians recently changed the oil, flushed the brake fluid, replaced a few bulbs, replaced the front hood struts, repaired the wiper switch, and repaired the high beam switch assembly. The previous owner had the seats covered and the leather condition is good. The car was repainted in its original color in 2008 and the condition of the paint is very good. The previous owner installed refurbished Fuch wheels a number of years ago and the condition of the wheels are very good. Previous service records indicate a Cylinder Leak Test was performed during the Major Service with 5% leakage across all cylinders"

Since I'm spending so much upfront, I'm trying to minimize the additional spend at least for a few years. While Porsche can cover anything for the first year, I'm assuming I can find some independent mechanics to help beyond this time.

Thanks again for any guidance!

DT
Old 07-23-2018, 06:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Why not post some pics.
For that coin I would expect all original and mint
This one is not
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 AM
skidowntown
Advanced

Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
skidowntown
Advanced

Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

okay I was under the impression this had Carbs for some reason so was not original ...

this IS a very nice original example to be sure .

All original engine, updated Kuhl AC system, nice wheel ( looks like a momo ) also has H-4s

I'm not a personal fan of Polished Fuchs but that's just my thing. They are nice wide ones,
About the only thing I see is its missing the sticker on the fan shroud strap but I'm sure they will order it and put it on for you.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I see the sold sign !! you bought it ??? it is a very cherry looking car.

Quick Reply: 83 911SC - How much is too much?