Completely overwhelmed trying to find my first 911... - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 911 Forum
Reload this Page >

Completely overwhelmed trying to find my first 911...

Notices
911 Forum
Sponsored by:

Completely overwhelmed trying to find my first 911...

Old 05-22-2018, 02:41 PM
jmann2380
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
There are plenty of good driver quality air cooled cars out there for way less than 50k. I think that comment is a little off base. The good ones are going to go quick though. That is sort of the rub. You have to be in position to react quickly and get eyes on the car and be ready to make a deal.
I have been through a recent search and purchased a 79 SC this past weekend.
Couple things I would suggest are definitely go to the effort to drive different models and years to see what you like. Personally I have two very fast cars and wasn't really looking for something that was another fast car. I like the driving experience of the 79 and it is quite slow in comparison to my other cars. A late 70s car is not going to drive as nice as a late 80s car. You need to find what you like. Even if you see a car that is close by that doesn't really suit your needs go and check it out. The more you see the more informed you will feel and it will help you narrow down exactly what you want.

I would be leary of BAT. In the last two weeks I had the opportunity to go see and drive 2 cars that have sold on BAT. I will say neither of them was misrepresented by the seller on BAT but a lot of the negatives were surely left out. Both cars had some serious flaws that were very obvious when I saw them in person but somehow the peanut gallery on BAT never caught on and asked the seller about those particular areas of concern. In both cases the cars sold for more (not even inluding 5% BAT fee) than I would have even considered paying. I couldn't help thinking to myself both those new owners are going to be sorely disappointed when the car shows up. BAT is fun to watch for values but I am just not the sort of guy that is willing to buy site unseen based on a sellers description that highlights mainly the good parts. Not saying there are not some great cars on there because there are, just saying it is tough to filter them out.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks appreciate the insight.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:42 PM
jmann2380
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dinnyin View Post
G50 Targa w/ a PPI from a reputable shop in good condition, ending in 30 mins but still under 30k : https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-targa-5/
Have my eye on it.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:10 PM
dinnyin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmann2380 View Post
Have my eye on it.
sold at $32,911, so less than this thread would have lead us to believe
Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 PM
theiceman
Super User

yeah if i got over 40K usd for mine id be thrilled. but...its not for sale
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Tarek307
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmann2380 View Post
@Tarek307 I know it's not a scam; I was being facetious due to posters saying you can't find a clean car for under $50k. Congrats on the sale was a great looking car. I'll be keeping an eye on your IG.

-Josh
Thx buddy. Of course there are many excellent cars under that amount. No offense to anyone or anything negative meant, but people on these forums always tend to think their cars are worth a fortune. Just keep following the actual market, find a car you like with a ppi or get a ppi and move quick, don't sit around waiting for someone else to ****** it up.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Keadog
Addict
Rennlist Member

As said above, there’s lots of Porsche activity in NE Ohio. Before the Great Recession, there were five dealers in the area (Stoddard (once owned by Porsche in part because Chuck Stoddard owned more OEM 356 parts than Porsche did), Fred Baker, Sunnyside, Cascade (Akron) and Armando’s (Canfield)). Now it’s Penske (Beachwood) and Bernie Moreno (Porsche North Olmsted). I have dealt with both and both are good places, having been a Stoddard customer back in the day.
You also mentioned Steinel’s and Eric is a top flight mechanic with a great shop. There are other Indies in NE Ohio, but I was always a customer of Eric’s.
Also consider joining PCA (I don’t think you have to own a Porsche for a trial membership). That will get you Panorama and the NOR newsletter. There are over 600 members in NE Ohio region and you may find something local by word of mouth.
July brings P2O (Porsches to Ohio) in Granville (east of Columbus). It will be a bit of a drive from close to Steinel’s, but there will be a lot of vintage P cars there -at least there have been in the past.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 PM
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member

OP, make sure to test-drive a bunch of p-cars before you pull the trigger. An old 911, especially without any hot-rod/suspension upgrades, is a vintage car and will drive completely differently vs a 996 gt3 or a 987/981 Boxster/Spyder. I see no logic in "starting" with an older Porsche before "advancing" to a more modern one later. Get what feels right to you at this moment and replace/upgrade if/when your passions or needs change. I've been tempted to add an older Porsche to my 996 gt3, and I may eventually end up doing it, but each time I drive my gt3 after test-driving an older car I conclude that I already have the perfect sports car for my needs. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Bloose993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dinnyin View Post
G50 Targa w/ a PPI from a reputable shop in good condition, ending in 30 mins but still under 30k : https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-targa-5/
Great deal for a 89 in this current market.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM
AG81
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT View Post
Great deal for a 89 in this current market.
I don't know if it was a great deal because I did not look at the car personally. I looked at 4 that LOOKED this good and all of them were mechanically and cosmetically weak.
But if the new buyer is happy so am I.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: