Looking for steering wheel input

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Looking for steering wheel input

Hey Guys
Now that I've replaced my seats, I'm turning my attention to my steering wheel. I'm not a huge fan of the three spoke. I like the look of the Momo competition wheel. Keeping in mind this is not a track car, does anyone have input as far as looks, function or otherwise? What have you done that you are happy or not so happy with?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Dean,

I really like the 930S wheel, may replace my Momo with one.
Is this the 3 spoke you dont like?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:34 AM
raceman77
Advanced

three spoke wheels are what you find on sports/racing cars(like a Porsche) primarily because of function-two hands,three spokes,no interference when driving.Have you considered the Citroen steering wheel mod?lt`s a ONE spoke wheel,found on early Citroens.Very cool.What kind of seats did you install?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. It is the original Porsche three spoke design I dislike, not three spokes in general. I like the one that Marc posted(thanksMarc) it is similar to the competition I mentioned.
The seats were out of a '92 911, same blue leather as the old seats. By the way, anyone looking for good condition blue leather seats? With a re-dye job they would look pretty nice.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:08 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I just replaced mine with the Momo Corse. The competition is a nice wheel very meaty though - I like the Corse because it looked a little more finished than most, especially with the Porsche Button...

Old 01-05-2004, 04:38 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Momo here also, love it
Old 01-05-2004, 08:30 PM
raceman77
Advanced

l`ve had several Momo wheels in my car,right now l`ve got the "Race"with silver spokes.l found l could sell the old wheels on Ebay for almost what l paid so l tried a few different ones until l found one l really liked.Pelican parts has a pretty good selection,decent prices.l think you`ll have good luck selling those seats,l`ve sold several pair on Ebay for fair money.Have fun shopping
Old 01-05-2004, 09:05 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Hi Dean
Momo do a wheel that's very similar to the original 930/RS Porsche fitment that you probably will like.

It's called the Runner & around half the price or less than an O/E wheel they are good value.

I've ordered one for my SC.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is my old Momo, dont think they make it anymore.
I like it alot but still plan on the 930S wheel.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Thanks for all of you input, it's especially nice to see some of these actually in a car instead of a catalog photo. I really appreciate you help. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Looking for steering wheel input

Originally posted by Dean Tanner
Hey Guys
Now that I've replaced my seats, I'm turning my attention to my steering wheel. I'm not a huge fan of the three spoke. I like the look of the Momo competition wheel. Keeping in mind this is not a track car, does anyone have input as far as looks, function or otherwise? What have you done that you are happy or not so happy with?
I couldn't live with the OEM wheel that came on the 87 911 I recently purchased for more than 24 hours. I actually went to purchase the Momo Prototipo wheel until I saw this suede Sparco wheel first hand with the square bottom. It was $189.00 dollars (not including hub) and I love it. Totally transformed the driving experience.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2004, 04:22 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went with the 930S type wheel. One of the most enjoyable upgrades you can make. It feels even better than it looks and took about 15 minutes to install. I used the optional spacer and recommend it for better viewing.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Mike,
Great looking interior! I really like the 930s wheel, tell me about the spacer. I'm 6'4" and would love to have the wheel closer to me. Is that what this spacer does? Can it be used with other wheels?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:06 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dean, The spacer does two things, it spaces the wheel out 15mm(5/8") and up about 5mm. Spacing out gives you more clearance between the wheel and the dash edge above the guages. Some people have a problem with their fingers clearing between the dash and wheel, some don't. I got to test this out personally as the Vendor forgot to pack the spacer I ordered! Since I couldn't wait, I had it installed for a few days without the spacer. I didn't have a clearance problem though it did feel quite close to the dash compared to the stock wheel. My main problem was not being able to see crucial segments of the Speedo which was annoying. The spacer made all the difference. Since the spacer moves the wheel out and up, the wheel does move a bit elliptically, but I really don't notice it at all and most people who have driven my car don't notice it even when it's pointed out. I've talked to a couple of people who have machined their own spacer to space it out even more. I'd recommend the spacer and I believe the factory delivered 930s with the spacer. BTW I'm 6ft.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:44 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Dean Tanner
Mike,
Great looking interior! I really like the 930s wheel, tell me about the spacer. I'm 6'4" and would love to have the wheel closer to me. Is that what this spacer does? Can it be used with other wheels?
If you are tall - you'll really love the smaller diameter. with the 350mm wheel I no longer bang my leg on the wheel getting in!

Quick Reply: Looking for steering wheel input