Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Classic Radio will not come on

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio will not come on

I installed my Porsche Classic Radio a few months ago in my 1983 911 SC. Worked great and it looked great. After the car sat for a few weeks, the battery went flat. After I charged the battery back up, the radio would not come on. I verified I had 12 volts to the Battery (BAT) power wire. The accessory (ACC) wire did not have any voltage. The in-line ACC fuse was fine. A local radio shop told me the radio would not come on unless both the BAT power wire and the ACC wire had 12V. It took me a while, but I found a second fuse up-stream of the first. The fuse was blown. I replaced that fuse and the radio works fine. As a permanent fix, I am removing the 2 fuses in series and putting one new style blade fuse just upstream of the radio. It will be in an obvious position to check the next time the radio does not come on. Since the radio has a 15 amp fuse in the back, we are going with a 10 amp fuse for this ACC feed wire and the other power wire.

I speculate some stray voltage during recharging, or while we were trouble shooting a wonky distributor, made its way to this circuit and took out the fuse. No complaints, the fuse did what it was supposed to do. The car has been in the family for more than 25 years, but it was not purchased with the original Blaupunkt radio. I guess the fuse was overlooked when a radio was installed and the installer put in a second one. I missed it when I was putting in the PCR. I just kept the fuse that I saw.

So, if your radio does not work, check both power wires for 12 volts or more and a good ground for the black wire. It would be helpful if Porsche had a Trouble shooting section in the manuals they provide, or just some notes on-line.

If you have an aftermarket radio in an air-cooled 911, I recommend this radio. It is really cool. Installation in an early 911 is pretty easy. The kit comes with everything you need.

Paul
Old 05-14-2018, 09:55 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine goes in late June from Porsche Colorado Springs. Looking forward to it small screen and all. Glad to hear all things included it’s replacing a aftermarket pioneer so hope missing wire/connectors a non or small issue.

Chuck
87 911
86 944
Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I have one in my '83 SC and in the almost two years it has been in the car it has been great. Yes the nav screen is small and hard to read especially with prized sun glasses but the radio is very good and the bluetooth phone connection is excellent. Glad I bought it. Additionally once when my car battery decided it would die because I had not driven it, when I recharged the battery the radio worked great and even retained the memorized stations. Great addition to my classic car
Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck v
Mine goes in late June from Porsche Colorado Springs. Looking forward to it small screen and all. Glad to hear all things included it’s replacing a aftermarket pioneer so hope missing wire/connectors a non or small issue.

Chuck
87 911
86 944

I have one in my 78 now since November. Such an elegant solution to adding tech to our time capsules. I have mine connected to a pair of FOCAL 130 5.25" that fit under the OEM grills. No amp and no woofer or rear speakers. The sound is very good for having only those two speakers but I wonder if I could improve upon the sound with an amp, and if I did add the amp where to mount it?

Sher-
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Put the amp under the passenger seat. I think Bruce Anderson's book has examples if you have an old copy.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio will not come on