Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

US (to UK) 1977 911 cabriolet - purchase decision help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 04:20 PM
rdra
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US (to UK) 1977 911 cabriolet - purchase decision help

Hi, I'm new to forum and know very little about 911's so please treat me gently. I'd really appreciate some advice/guidance. My US friend is selling his 1977 (yellow!) 911 (was 2.7 now 3.0) Cabriolet (it was a Targa and he still has all the bit to convert it back). Its 150k miles but in very good rust free lots of new parts condition. It looks solid but needs some minor cosmetics. I'd like to use it in the UK personally. Its LHD. Price he is asking is approx. $17k (plus costs to get from US to UK - shipping, import, conversions, taxes et). Can anyone help me/guide me. I REALLY appreciate this. I have pics if required. I'm trying to understand whether this is a fair price and where I can get more information about the process of importing it from US to UK. I've done a little research and I know there may be a 10% duty tax + VAT on top of that unless I can prove it's a classic car? I'd like to understand also what conversion work (and possible costs) I have to do to get it UK road legal..If anyone can shed some light on what steps I need to follow I'd really appreciate it....Thank you. Also it was converted from a Targa to a Cabriolet. Are there any downsides to this? It has an original Porsche soft-top. I may be able to purchase the original Targa frame and real window. Thanks again

Last edited by rdra; 05-13-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:50 AM
DLK
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have just done a fairly similar thing. I have bought a 911 Targa that was in the US.

Contact West Coast shipping and they can pick the car up at the location it is now and send it to the UK. Have them load it in a freight container and a few weeks later it will arrive (South Hampton i think)

Mine went one stop further to Rotterdam.

In Holland you only pay 6% VAT and no import duties (30 years and older)

As for the conversion, Porsche wrote a manual on how to convert a Targa to convertible. The tub is the same. I like the look and lines of a targa better than the cab...

You mention a price of $17.000 I think that is a bargain, even if it is a non original car (engine and body)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:19 PM
rdra
6th Gear

Thank you I really appreciate your feedback ....I too prefer the Targa to the Cab...I believe that the current owner has the parts to convert back to a targa with the exception of the struts needed to hold the Targa loop which will need welding in again I believe. I drove the car around the block (5 mins) I do understand that the car is from the mid 70's but I was more unrefined that I thought it would be ..it was hard work in terms of gear changing (I was told that I have to go via the neutral position and then the destination gear and to change gear slowly but it wasn't easy for me...and it had very heavy steering at slow speed...I may need a longer drive to see if I can mould with the car as I am not buying it for an investment and then flipping it straight away..i will be my weekend fun car if I buy it...I have a 1992 MX5 and I love driving that car...as I say the 911 is solid and the mechanics and engine appear solid... thank you again for helping me
Old 05-18-2018, 01:53 PM
DLK
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The one I bought is a 1987 model with the newer G50 gearbox. Easier to shift and hydraulic clutch instead of cable operated. The G50 gear leaver centers in front of third gear, like all other modern boxes do. The 915 in the earlier cars has no center in neutral and is therefor harder to shift (find gears)

go to the impact bumpers website to find a lot of info on these cars. Most owners are UK based.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:32 AM
rdra
6th Gear

Hi..here are some pics - if anyone has any feedback on overall conditions/value I'd appreciate it Thank you
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
rdra
6th Gear

pic

Last edited by rdra; 05-25-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: US (to UK) 1977 911 cabriolet - purchase decision help