Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Crossed wires ...please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Benny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossed wires ...please help.

I just bought an 1983 930 and I didn't check the lights when I bought the car so here's the problem. When I turn the lights on, the power that should be going to the rear marker lights are going to the reverse lights instead. When the lights are off and I put the car in reverse, the reverse lights do NOT light. Can anyone give me any hints as to where the harness plugs are? Towards the front or in the engine bay area? I took the fuse for the front/rear marker lights out and the reverse lights turned off together with the front marker lights. This is how I know that there are plugs crossed somewhere.

Thanks for any help/hints.

Benny.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:42 AM
raceman77
Advanced

l suggest buying the Bentley manual,it should have a schematic that will work on your wiring even though you have a turbo.Or you can get a multimeter and start checking the wiring,it sounds like a real simple fix.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird. Makes you wonder if someone switched the plugs on the back of the lamp housing. You can unscrew the lens, then get access to the screws which hold the lamp housing in place. The harness runs into the rear corners and are connected simply by a molex plug that runs into the engine compartment. You can plainly see the grounds to the bulbs are simply bolted to the frame.

Of course make sure you diagnose every function (check operation of every lamp, stop lamp turn signal, etc. etc) before you start switching and unpluging things. It's unlikely that the wiring just "failed". I suspect someone was in there and tied your reverse lamps to your taillamps (bad experience getting rear-ended maybe ). Bet that is the case.

Good luck

rjp
Old 01-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are wiring diagrams on the Pelican site.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Benny
Rennlist Member

Thanks for everyones hints/help. The previous owner had switched the connections and it was easy enough to figure out where all of them should go.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Crossed wires ...please help.