Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 05:54 AM
floatss
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Braided hose help required

Hi Guys,
Please help.
Replacing some of the perished braided hoses in the engine bay of my 83 911SC, behind the air filter, I noticed this blocked off hose. For the life of me, I cant figure out or find where the other end is supposed to go.
The first image shows the little stub blocked off with a Phillips head screw.
The second image shows where I have fitted the new hose, where is it supposed tp go?
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Last edited by floatss; 04-30-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:58 PM
floatss
Advanced

Nix?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:19 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

where does the other end go?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM
floatss
Advanced

That was my question
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,154 Likes on 827 Posts

distributor ?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM
floatss
Advanced

No, the braided hose from dizzy to throttle body is a red hose which I replaced a few weeks ago. This vacuum advance hose sit much further forward, closer to the fire wall. The blocked off hose is much further to the rear of the engine/car. It sits behind the air filter box. In fact, it is only visable with the filter box removed.
Red hose from dizzy

Red hose from left to centre of the photo
Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like your distributor has been replaced with one that only has vacuum advance, and no retard as it should. My '82 has two connections on the distributor: one that goes to the throttle body on the front side of the engine (this is the one you replaced), one that goes to the plugged connection on the throttle body. I say keep it plugged because a) your distributor doesn't have that function for some reason so there's not anything you can do with it and b) anyway it's solely an emissions item and has no impact on performance.

Maybe I just can't see the connection on the distributor, but there should be two for your year.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,154 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
It looks like your distributor has been replaced with one that only has vacuum advance, and no retard as it should. My '82 has two connections on the distributor: one that goes to the throttle body on the front side of the engine (this is the one you replaced), one that goes to the plugged connection on the throttle body. I say keep it plugged because a) your distributor doesn't have that function for some reason so there's not anything you can do with it and b) anyway it's solely an emissions item and has no impact on performance.

Maybe I just can't see the connection on the distributor, but there should be two for your year.
I thought that too. I thought he was supposed to have a retard line for starting. ( often removed as it is a pollution control measure and does little else ) would explain the extra line.
The guys on Pelican would know for sure.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
I thought that too. I thought he was supposed to have a retard line for starting. ( often removed as it is a pollution control measure and does little else ) would explain the extra line.
The guys on Pelican would know for sure.
Yep, that's it. I know for a fact that it's this one because I recently did it myself, and ended up plugging both it and the distributor because I didn't care for its behavior.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 AM
floatss
Advanced

TKS Gents,
Much appreciated. I did not realise the dizzy should have vac advance as well as retard. The dizzy has only one vacuum port and must have been replaced at some stage. However, I’ll take another look to see if I have missed the extra port.
Thank you very much.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
EDIT, Yep guys, no extra piepie on the dizzy, must have been swapped.. TKS

Last edited by floatss; 05-01-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

That port is probably advance, not retard. That's the good one to have! All the same I think I would check your timing to see if it's in spec with that distributor.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:05 AM
floatss
Advanced

TKS Dave, yes, it is running fine. I have owned the car about 5 years and it goes like a rocket. I noticed some deteriorating braided hoses, which I replaced and saw the blocked off hose behind the air box.
I know the previous owner did a bit of club racing and I take it to the mechanic that has maintained her for the past 20 odd years. Unfortunately he is about 300km from here. We normally make an outing of the trip when it comes to its annual service and see my Mom as well.
Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated.
Regards
Chris

Quick Reply: Braided hose help required