Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

79' 911 SC at CaliforniaClassix....Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:42 PM
TJY82
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79' 911 SC at CaliforniaClassix....Thoughts?

I am considering purchasing this SC, and it is currently scheduled for a PPI to be done tomorrow by a local porsche mechanic in the area, RSEnterprises. I'd like to hear some opinions on it. Price seems fair, and they are willing to deal. It's had quite a bit of work done to it recently, with a full drive-train rebuild, suspension, clutch, bare metal repaint, etc. This will be my first air-cooled porsche. Recently sold my 997s. Let me know what you think,

http://www.californiaclassix.com/garage/c1151.html

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Hi Tom. Welcome!

One thing I can tell you is that the engine is missing the smog pump. These were on all US 911SCs in 1978 and 1979. It should be to the left of the fan, and if you look closely you can see where they have added spacers over the long studs for the air pump bracket on the left chain housing cover.

Deleting the pump is common (mine is off), but if you live in CA, I don't think you can pass emissions testing without the pump and the associated plumbing. There should be a manifold between the heat exchangers and the engine that injects air from the smog pump into the exhaust port of each cylinder head. That also appears to be missing. They will have screwed plugs into each port where the air injectors used to be.

Mark
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

This appears to be a nice car, however I prefer 911 pictures without dudes in them.......unless they happen to be Steve McQueen.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:53 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJY82
I am considering purchasing this SC, and it is currently scheduled for a PPI to be done tomorrow by a local porsche mechanic in the area, RSEnterprises. I'd like to hear some opinions on it. Price seems fair, and they are willing to deal. It's had quite a bit of work done to it recently, with a full drive-train rebuild, suspension, clutch, bare metal repaint, etc. This will be my first air-cooled porsche. Recently sold my 997s. Let me know what you think,

http://www.californiaclassix.com/garage/c1151.html

Cheers,
Tom
I don't know... I don't particularly like the ad and it makes me think this thing WAS in an accident. Did they do the chain tensioners? What are they asking for it ? Miles? OK I see they are asking $44K but they spent $27K on it???? Something doesn't seem right about this.

Sher-
Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Worn seats refered to as patina...

Quick Reply: 79' 911 SC at CaliforniaClassix....Thoughts?