Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at 911SC with mods...looking for help digesting them.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:39 PM
sadcaper
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at 911SC with mods...looking for help digesting them.

This ‘81 911 has a host of modifications. However this would be my first air cooled Porsche so I’m not totally familiar with them and therefore not sure if what’s been done is appropriate.

Heres a list:

-Euro 3.0SC engine with new head studs and fresh valve job
-40mm Weber Carburetor with PMO manifolds
-Carburetors are in sync, rebuilt
-re-curved ignition disc
-New MSD
-New coil
-New clutch
-New engine mounts
-SSI heat exchangers with Carrera RS dual inlet and dual outlet sport muffler

Most of the work done 3-4 years ago. I did some resaech and it appears if going from fuel injections to carbs you also need new cams, which it doesn’t look like was done?

Anyway, let me know thoughts on the build. About 88k miles on car, but no idea of miles on engine. Important to have matching engine numbers rather than “better” euro engine? I will be driving this car and not garage queen. :-)

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

it is best to have different cams, but not a requirement

the real questions are how well the mods were done, and the price and as you are in the frozen Northland, how often you will try to start a cold engine in the cold..

usually someone doing those mods to a CIS motor will improve the suspension too - nothing there?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 AM
sadcaper
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response.

I talked to the shop that did the upgrades but who knows “how well” they were done. I guess a PPI should be done to verify that. They did seem like a qualified Porsche shop though.

This is will be a spring/summer/fall car so cold starts shouldn’t be a huge issue. How is starting a carburetor car different than a modern car. Just doesn’t start right away? Adjustments needed? Won’t always start?

Seller did mention suspension was original and needed to be upgraded.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:04 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Do you mean 'upgraded' or 'maintained'? A 1981 car with no maintenance and 88K miles will need a lot. If you are good with a wrench, have a lift, a lot of time, and need a hobby and can DIY, just the basics will cost ~$1-2K. If you have to farm out all the work and throw in some 'upgrades', it will be >$5-10K for suspension/brakes alone.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Carb and SSI on an SC are good for about 20hp. You don’t need cams.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like someone had a plan but it wasn't a complete one, raises lots of questions!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

The Euro 3.0 is a stump puller even with CIS. Properly maintained you can get 150000 miles out of that engine before the guides go south. With minimal mechanical ability you can do a stock factory brake job in an afternoon. A new set of Bilsteins on all 4 corners is all the upgrade you need for a driver. Over time while enjoying the ride I'd be committed to put that car back in stock form.... dump the MSD and anything else that looks hot rod and you won't be sorry.

Quick Reply: Looking at 911SC with mods...looking for help digesting them.