Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery & Alternator light stay on???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 PM
DandyD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery & Alternator light stay on???

The first warning was an intermittent alternator light. I checked the belt and had the alternator checked for proper output. A few miles later and the alternator light stays on at all RPMs. I replaced the alternator and now the same alternator light & battery lights stay on all the time. I have a Bentley Service Manual and have performed the troubleshooting tips recommended, including checking for proper voltage all the way back to the alternator and put in a new battery… I am stumped!!! Anyone with any tips or similar symptoms?

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-31-2003, 12:52 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Where did you get the "replaced alternator"? The 911 3.2 has a very
simple charging system. There are just two connections; the light and
the battery wire. The regulator is internal.

The only possible problem, other than alt. being bad, is bad connection
to the battery. You need to check all connections.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 12-31-2003, 04:18 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

have you checked the voltage regulator?
Old 12-31-2003, 11:26 AM
DandyD
Track Day

Thanks for the replies... It is a rebuilt alternator I purchased from a standard parts store. I did check the voltage and amps output after installing and all readings looked good, according to the Bentley manual. Maybe a bad connection at the warning light???
Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
jonnyw
Advanced

Did you ever figure out the problem? Your getting 14or so volts when running on at the battery right?

They might have when rebuilding the alternator crossed or put a diode/somthing backwards. Which would allow the alternator to work but could cause a direct line of power all the time to the lamp.

1:Make sure your getting 13-14 volts with the car running lights on etc at the battery.
2: If that is the case take the alternator out bring it and have it tested again tell the parts store your problem and they should have a way to test for that issue.
3: Get a new alternator from the store.
4: If none of those work. Do this. Disconnect the idiot light feed from the alternator. Get 10 feet or so of wire. Connect one end to the alternator idiot light spot and place a female tip on the other end. pull out your gauge where the idiot light is located and remove the old connection carefully. Then plug in your new connection. Start the car up.
If the light stays on its an issue with the alternator. If the light goes out and works normally. Your idiot light wire feed someplace along the harness is messed up.

Let me know how it works!!!

Quick Reply: Battery & Alternator light stay on???