911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Weird Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:40 AM
Greg

Red face Weird Wipers

My three year old nephew just loves my SC. As soon as I arrived yesterday, he saw my car and immediately shouted "Greg Car Wash!" Last summer, I had taken him to the car wash around the corner where they have one of those spray guns and let him spray the car. His other favorite activity is to open the passenger side door, get in, sit, open the door, get out, go around to the driver's side, open the door, get in, pretend to drive, turn **** and levers, open the door, get out. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Well, it seems yesterday, he got a bit rough with the windshield wiper lever. When I started up the car, the windsheild wipers were on. I moved the lever to the "off" position, but they still operated in intermittant mode. No matter which position I put it in, they remain on. What I find odd about it is that I would think that had he damaged the wiper switch, they would just fail to work at all. Instead the opposite has happened. Another extenuating circumstance is that is was brutally cold yesterday (and even colder today). The car had been in the garage for approx. 2 months unused before yesterday. But it started right up like a charm and the hour drive to visit my nephew was incident free. Basically, I'm assuming that I need to replace the wiper switch. But the fact that it failed in such a weird way has me more curious than concerned. Has anyone else seen something like this? Additionally, does anyone know off the top of their head whether the wipers have their own fuse that I can remove without compromising any other system?
Old 01-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your SC have intermittent wipers? I'm not talking about the 3 speeds you get with the wiper stalk. On my '86 there is a small round **** just below and between the speedometer and the clock with a little wiper emblem on it that actually controls the intermittent wiper speed and works independently of the wiper stalk.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Greg

I don't remember a **** being there, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'll double check when I have a chance to get to the garage tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:08 PM
sivaDseliM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He probably turned the intermittent ****.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:54 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You're lucky, my grandkids killed my high beam stalk twice, $150+ each time.

Quick Reply: Weird Wipers