Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Power Windows Aren't Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 12:06 AM
mdbickell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Windows Aren't Working

The power windows on my '81SC are working only intermittently. They occasionally work only after the car has been sitting for a while. Otherwise, neither the driver nor passenger side is moving.

The fuses look fine (at least all that I could find under the bonnet).

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm guessing the relay has gone bad. if this is the case, anyone know how much these usually cost?

Please help.

Matt
Old 12-25-2003, 04:00 AM
84porsche
Intermediate

Matt,

I would suggest looking at the fuses again - a problem I have had is that under temperature the fuses make better connections. Did you change the fuses anyway to see if it made a difference? But if you think it might be the relay - I found the relay for the windows available at http://www.importeccatalog.com/ for about $38.00 but this is for an 84. I don't know if your car has or needs a relay. The Bentley manual i have only shows relays used in the 84 and 85 models - hope this helps.

Chris
Old 12-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Consider the window switches as well...both were going South on my SC and I found that hard to believe until I realized that if I reached across and operated the switch on the passenger door the window would go up and down like a champ!

Just my two cents for something to consider.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:26 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep.. those switches wear out.. but I would start with testing for current when there's a problem
Old 12-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the wiring at the bulkhead in the door jamb. There is a connector there for the DC supply as well as the circuit to the passenger-side windows. The connector became loose an my SC while on holidays last summer and the windows quit, but simply pushing the connector firmly back into place corrected the problem.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 PM
A4_Pilot
AutoX

Matt,

Sorry to hear about the window switches. If the switches are working (and the windows are rolling at normal speed), then it seems like there's current flowing through even though they only are working intermittently.

I would guess there's a loose connection by the switch (as Paul suggested). But it should be easy to check out. Let me know if I can help...it would make a fun New Year's Project!!!!!

Non

PS: I hope you had a good drive through the desert. Have fun at the C.D. show tonight!

Quick Reply: Power Windows Aren't Working