Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best/Worest Roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:08 AM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Thread ! I will throw in some good areas of Texas as we have lots of isolated areas and wide open space.
Any of the roads in the southwest hill country, TX 16 from Kerrvile to Midena and then 337 from Medina to Vanderpool and on to Leakey is one of the most scenic and fun roads in the state. All of the roads around the Leakey area are worth a drive.
The Davis Mountain loop road is another good one as well, and while you are out there you might as well explore all of the roads around the Big Bend area as there is plenty of room to stretch your legs !
Keep these coming as it always nice to make note of good driving routes in other states for planning road trips ! I have got to get out and drive the dragon, even though I hear there is lots of traffic on it ?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tn911
For a pure, ultimate driving experience there is nothing that can touch the "Dragon" in TN/NC.

kbk
911 cab 993
I've driven the dragon, so I'm going from experience. But Palomar Mountain here in SoCal is every bit as fun and challenging-and it lasts a lot longer. South Grade Rd up 4000ft in something like 7 miles, then high speed sweepers back down on East Grade Rd. There must be some reason that hundreds of bikes hit it every weekend, enought that there are pro photogs setup taking pics of everyone and selling them on the net.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

BEST ROADS
Hailing from the East coast of Canada I'm partial to a couple of routes.
The "Lighthouse Trail" Rt 333, or as we like to call it, The Peggy's Cove Run. Particularly the less traveled part East of Peggy's Cove back to Halifax. I used to test out suspension mods on that one.

The Cabot Train in Cape Breton, starting from the English bay end and ending in Baddeck.
It's about a 5 hour drive through the mountains with some really nice places to stop and enjoy the scenery.
Both are tourist routes, so off season is more fun.

WORST ROADS
Anywhere on the 401 in Ontario.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer I had a little Eurotrip. We started in Stuttgart and went through Germany, Switzerland, Austria and spent most of our time in Northern Italy (Tyrol). There were some amazing driving roads there. Stelvio Pass has been in magazines and TV shows:
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US- 14 over the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. Turn off I-90 at Ranchester Wyoming and cross the Mountain on US-14. If you thought that was fun then come back up the mountain on Alt. 14.

While you’re in the area, don't forget hwy 212 out of Redlodge Mt. to the Beartooth pass. You will be gaining altitude
Old 04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Those are all great rides!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
jwilson95
Racer

Irobertson-

Peggy's cove area is great. I had a hard time watching the road and not the scenery!

Also, it was a rental Dodge piece of dung and not the 911, but I made it struggle quite a bit!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Here's a link you can review for proximity to you.

http://www.carretaracing.com/porsche_roads/frame.htm

European roadways,--what can I say??
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon is the best I've driven, but...

The Tail of the Dragon is great, but there are steep drop offs and too many blind turns. Just South of it there is also a nice set of high-speed sweepers along Highway 28.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
StanV
Instructor

Great thread!
A personal favourite is BC's Hwy 33 from Kelowna to Rock Creeek (few cars in the early AM, but lots of deer, watch it; the 911 nose is designed to deflect any deer you hit right into your face).
Worst road - I don't think there is one!

SV
Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The road going into Sedona, AZ was amazing. I drove it back in college in my GTI and was in love with it! What a road! I will have to google it later to see what it was called.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RShepHorse
Bump - a good thread
Rt. 17 Appalachian Gap Vermont
I have never driven this road sadly, but this summer the wife and I are taking a road trip one day and checking it off the list. Thanks for bring this thread back by the way!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Alpine 88
Intermediate

Two great roads in heavily urban areas:

Georgetown Pike from the DC Beltway to Great Falls, VA. Great, great curves over a couple of miles. I had a girlfriend in college in the early '80s who lived in Great Falls, and I was in Arlington. She had a '76 Scirocco, I had a '75 Rabbit. We got to where we could do all the turns at twice the posted maximum safe speed. Then, in late '83, my father got an '84 944. I was pissed it wasn't a 911, but hey, it wasn't bad at all. Triple posted speeds. Unfortunately, the area has gotten so crowded nowadays that you can only drive this in the dead of night without running up someone's tailpipe.

Route 22 in Westchester County, NY, running north from the roundabout on the Bronx River Parkway in Greenburgh or Valhalla, not sure which town it's actually in. Not the twistyest road around, but it's got some nice curves, and is really gorgeous eight months a year, and in October you'll think you're in Vermont. You'll never believe you're less than 25 miles from Midtown Manhattan.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 AM
itisaniceday
6th Gear

Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Cross Bronx Expressway

Quick Reply: Best/Worest Roads