Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Everyday Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 12:17 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top 10 reasons I wouldn't buy a clunker!

10: Not that much more room in a (insert favorite non-descript econo-box)
9: Never find myself admiring it as I walk into the store/house/work etc.
8: Never find myself admiring it as I walk out of the store/house/work etc.
7: Miss striking up conversations with fellow enthusiasts
6: Thumbs-up from the kid's on the bus!
5: Shoot...If I were in the Porsche I could have avoided that accident
4: Ability to move through traffic with safety and grace.
3: Cozy surroundings while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
2: Never have to think.....Beautiful Day/Evening/Road I wish I were in the Porsche!

1: No reason to take the long way home!

Driving a 911 everyday has it's own challenges and rewards. I'm grateful to the two previous owner's of my car who only put 30K miles on it in 14yrs. I guess they were saving it for me to enjoy, EVERYDAY! There are only some 52 weekends a year and lots of activities vying for that weekend time......

How about sneaking a little fun into the daily work grind!

Duck Mike!

Last edited by SoCal Mike; 12-24-2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Eric-17

I would buy a gently used fully-loaded BMW 3 Series (E36 variety)... They are easy to find, relatively easy to work on, respectable looking, very reliable, and fun to drive... My sedan has rear seats that fold down so trips to the hardware store are a non-issue... And it does look a lot nicer than a Camry/Accord.

Drive the 911 in good weather and for fun and use the Bimmer for emergencies, crappy weather, and hauling goods...

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2003, 03:13 PM
84porsche
Intermediate

This has to be one of life's hardest choices - drive a Porsche everyday or just whenever I feel like it which could be everyday. I have looked at a variety of other cars and I just can't find one that is reasonable and fun. I know I can't fit a 2x4 in the Porsche unless the top is off. I love going for a ride at lunch from work especially on the Laguna Hills back roads. I have seen convincing arguments on both sides and I appreciate all your help - I would rather put my money into the Porsche but at the same time I need to be practical. I may get a truck to help share some of the road and weather burdens but enjoy the Porsche in the mean time until the right deal comes along. It was sure wonderful though driving in the rain in the Porsche - the water just flew right off at 70+ mph - what other car can you drive that in the rain and be glued to the ground. Mike I have to agree with you on this issue though - 2: Never have to think.....Beautiful Day/Evening/Road I wish I were in the Porsche! This is always the hardest to deal with.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:57 AM
ebsalem
Instructor

okay, just some thoughts from somebody who learned to drive in and was hauled from Daycare everyday in a '69 911 and has his own '72.

1. 911 coupes are the most impractical daily drivers unless you're single.

2. There is nothing more fun than a 911 daily driver.

3. They do get around pretty well in the snow.

4. Holy **** they are fun.

5. AC is overrated unless you're in a professional dress type of job.

6. My wife is scared about hauling the kids in the '72 so I bought a MazdaSpeed Protege. (which is actually a very fun car)

7. Snow tires are a good thing.

8. Rust never sleeps

9. the redundancy of a second car provides lot's of security.

10. if you're gonna do it, DO IT.

warm regards,
e
(36 years-old now but still remember those magical days way back when)
Old 12-27-2003, 11:13 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, Mike's REALLY gotta good point. But, it sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. A nicely used whatever can make your life easier. My Acura made me SUCH a believer in their cars that I'll probably always have one. AWESOME commuter car; moreso than the afforementioned Camry's and Civic's. You can haul long cargo, load it to the gills with groceries, AND it's got PLENTY of juice (more than a 944NA if you get a VTEC!) for those 75-80mph passing moves. All while delivering about 25mpg. But then, I'm baised. There is SO much security in having a second car, man. I miss having 2 drivers in a bad way.

Bear in mind, I say all this having only driven two 911's in my life; an early 70's S and a late 70's Targa SC (neither the BEST example of the breed in my humble opinion). And those drives, while spirited were not nearly long enough to establish any kind of bond with the cars. Sorta like making it to 2nd base with a hot chick- nothing less than a desire for SO much more. If I had a nice later model SC, I might be screaming "DRIVE THE 911!" with Mike. ****, I KNOW if I had a Turbo Cab like Mike I'd say "DRIVE IT!!"

But, it still sounds like you've made up your mind. Just don't settle on a CRAPPY beater (Camry= crappy). I really am a believer that the 2nd and 3rd gen Integra's are fabulous commuters. Watch the timing belts and cv's on the used ones, though.

Quick Reply: Everyday Drivers