Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:04 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don, I'm starting to feel the same way! I looked at it in 2000, and he was not even asking that much for it compared to today's prices.

I'm not sure how many had a sunroof, but it couldn't be too many. The current owner has some information on it posted at: http://www.911clubsport.freeservers.com/custom.html. He appears to have done some research on the CS, and has not found any others with a sunroof.

I'm always keeping any eye out for one, but I have not seen any nice Club Sports for sale recently. There have been a few for sale over the last few years, but all at a high price. I love the Carrera I have, but a nice CS would be one of the few cars I would trade it for.

-Sean
Old 12-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Morty
Instructor

I can just say that after driving a "regular" '88 for a few years and having recently switched to a mint condition '87 CS, the CS is just feels so much more connected to the road. Before running into my CS, I was on my way to lowering and stiffening my regular 3.2 in order to get a CS-feel to it, but you end up spending a lot of money that you won't be able to recover (and it still won't be a CS!). Buying a CS is, even though they are quite a bit more expensive than a regular 3.2, money in the bank. Compared to the RS '73, which of course is a very nice and rare car, the CS is much more rare with only 340 ever made as compared to just over 1,000 RS '73:s made. Mine was ordered with a full roll cage and "cup"-seats from the factory and is as far as I know one of only seven originally sold here in Sweden. Sure, you get passed by GT3:s and other more modern models at track meets, but learning to master the CS is something that is hard and takes time - but it sure is fun working on your skills in such a sharp instrument.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:21 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can say is drive one and feel the difference. My website was sited above and I built it a couple years ago. Although it has annoying pop-ups, it has brought together a bunch of individual owners with a great car.

Look at all the fervor with the new GT3. The club sport is NOT an option delete car and its road feel and the sheer joy from driving need to be experienced. If nothing else, the internet has brought together a bunch of Porschephiles from all over the world and up until recently the CS was a forgotten and undervalued car. Less weight(and especially when done at the factor)equals more speed...what it's worth is up to you!!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,096 Likes on 2,870 Posts

I think the CS is a neat car, but I'm not sure it's fair to make an allusion to a GT3. While the CS is lighter and more purposeful than an 88 3.2, the GT3 is WAY more serious than a new 996 C2 - these are some of the changes:

60hp more (dyno reveals over 80 more - around 405) with a motor that revs 1,000 rpm higher based on a racing dry-sump block with titanium con-rods.

Much lower ride height with racing-style coil-over suspension and adjustable sway bars.

Special wheels and tires

Special bodywork to give aerodynamic downforce up to its 15mph higher top speed (191mph)

Much bigger brakes with 6-piston brembos in front and special cooling ducts

Racing transmission with ability to quickly change gear ratio sets for different tracks

Assymetrical limited slip diff (higher locking under decceleration)

And many other things I've left out. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to keep things in perspective...
Old 01-01-2004, 04:18 AM
TomTurtle
Intermediate

Default 1988 CS

Wow! Most talk about the Carrera CS I've seen in a long time! I've been away from the computer on vacation, so as the current owner of Chick's sunroof car (only one made) I have to put in my $0.02 too.

Where to start? The CS is the third Porsche I've owned including a '97 Coupe and a '89 Targa and it is much more "involving" a sports car than the other two. It has a raw, loud feel and has an entirely different handling quality; either driving it in on the freeway, autocrosses or in NorCal canyon runs/fun runs. However, based on the NUMEROUS accolades I have seen in the Euro press about the RoW CS and knowing that the only difference was that they had 230 to our 217 hp, in addition to a few handling mods, I added a Borla muffler, Steve Wong chip, Dansk pre-muffler and K&N and went from approx 217 to 243 rwhp. The great only got greater! Now I have to definitely be more careful about the trailing throttle oversteer!

Granted, someone could take a stock '88/'89 Carrera, put it on a diet and make similar (identical is impossible) engine/handling mods and come up with something approximating a matching-numbers CS, but its not the same thing and never will be! As a collectible, there are only 22 '88's and 6 '89s in the US and approx 53 in the UK, each engine block has a unique "SP" stamped on it and I know for sure the US fender logos are no longer available from PCNA. But all the same, my car is not a GQ as I have put about 11K miles on it in less than 2 years. My only regret is that I am hesitant to track it for the obvious reasons. I know of at least 3 US CS's and 1 UK CS that are regularly tracked and still manage to impress the uninitiated.

Happy New Year and Keep 'em Flying no matter what your choice of "weapons"!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2004, 04:22 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,096 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Those black trim rings around the lights look cool - don't think I've seen those before on a silver car - nice!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:45 AM
TomTurtle
Intermediate

Default Club Sport

Thanks Grant, that's one nice looking car you have too! Looks like it really flies!

I like the "black eyes' too; makes it a little more distinctive. I picked up a set of unpainted trim rings at the Ventura Autofest tis year; will shoot them for the next concours season but keep the current look for runing around.

FYI there are a few CS's in the Denver area; PM me if you want to check them out and I'm reasonably sure they will correspond with you. One of them made reversible engine mods similar to my car.

Quick Reply: 1988 Club Sport