Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC -- 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:18 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

951, 911... either way, if you're looking to do straight-line racing, you're looking at the wrong tools for the job. It will be MUCH cheaper and more effective to do this with other platforms than the ones Porsche made.

The 911 is a great handling car. It makes the transition to track driving without breaking a sweat, and has a look, heritage and sound that simply expresses the best of what 'Porsche' has come to mean.

The 944 family is fine, for what it is. It's an inexpensive car to buy. Expensive to maintain. It's more modern, in a lot of ways, than the 911. And fine for driving around town. And capable (in a generic sort of way) on the track. To me, it's not a car that really reflects much about 'Porsche.' I've been in them, and never really got much out of it.

But the price on the 944 is right, for a lot of guys. And it's definitely better than a lot of the rest of what's out there.

But for quarter miles, neither car makes any sense, unless you've got a seriously large amount of money burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your so interested in doing the 1/4 mile then why don't you put the $$$ into a Mustang or a Eclipes GS-T or something. Put some money into that and you'll love the 1/4 mile. Put that 951 orSC on the track and you'll never go back to the 1/4 mile again. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Driv300mph
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LoL no no no guys you got me all wrong!!

1/4 mile is definately NOT what I'm into... Autocross is what I love, and hope to run at a track some day (Hallett)

Of course, when I'm cruising around with my friends, I will be racing them off and on just to compare. I just LOVE the design of the 911, and hope to own a 993 Turbo one day. I guess I should become Jerry Signfeld's friend huh? This is probably going to need to last me through college, and will be a daily driver, grocery getter, cruiser. Won't do much racing in it, unless I feel the need for speed!

If I get $7000 for my car, I'll be able to spend $16000-$20000 for my next car. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but if I can find out how to do it, I'll definately do it myself. Not like an engine rebuild or anything, but things like charging the A/C, replacing the O2 senor/fuel filter/spark plugs/oil -- things like that.

Out of curiosity, say I spent $17000 on a 911SC with 34k on the clock, how much do you think I should save for maintenance? Thanks a bunch guys for all of the responses, very helpful!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 944 family is fine, for what it is. It's an inexpensive car to buy. Expensive to maintain. It's more modern, in a lot of ways, than the 911. And fine for driving around town. And capable (in a generic sort of way) on the track. To me, it's not a car that really reflects much about 'Porsche.' I've been in them, and never really got much out of it.
I've not yet owned a 911, though I am seriously looking. I want a 911 for the aesthetics of the car. However, I have driven several over the years, and to call a 944's track handling "generic" is hard for me to understand. Especially compared to the typical understeer of the 911 series. To me it's the most neutral handling car I've ever driven. In the 80's tire manufacturers would test their tires with 944's due to that very fact. I LOVE 911's, the body style IS what most people identify as Porsche.....but the 951 is hard to beat as a track car ( for what it is I guess). A couple of $1000 in mods will push the HP well over 300, and the same amount again will get coil overs and camber plates etc. I guess until you've driven a 300+HP 951 it's hard to imagine it reflecting much Porsche heritage, as it's tail lights disappear from your view. As usual this is only my opinion, and is usually flawed........

Quick Reply: 911SC -- 944 Turbo