911 SC Heater control temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:52 PM
trahanm
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 911 SC Heater control temp sensor

Folks,

This is my first technical post on this forum in a while.

We have a 1983 Euro spec 911 SC that we acquired about 4 years ago. I do all the work on it myself. One of the last things to tackle after getting the car mostly sorted was the heater control. The potentiometer that sets the temperature for the automatic system was seized. After freeing this up and confirming that it still worked, i discovered that the system would only go to full heat. This was due to the interior temp sensor behind the rear view mirror being broken, most likely due to a windshield removal that happened before I owned the car. Pelican parts says the sensor is no longer available and did not offer an alternative, and I could not find any information on this topic on various forums.

So, I went to MIcro- Center and purchase a variety pack of different resistors for 11.50$ to try and replicate the sensor. The manual says the sensor should be 1.9 k ohms at 68 F. After installing that in place of the temperature sensor I found that system worked but I did not have the full range of the motor that moves the heater lever, only the last 30%..

After experimenting with different resistors, I

found that a 1.2k ohm resistor worked perfectly, giving me the full operating range, with position 5 being fully open, or maximum heat.

I hope this helps other with he same issue with their automatic heating control system.

Marc
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,118 Posts

I had a similar experience with my 89 different but similar inputs. But n mine it was a failed temp
Sensor in the exhaust. Interior sensor was fine. That simply tells the car to open full until it’s warmed up. It was broken and open so it caused auto heat to be full all the time. Putting a resistor on it allowed fully variable control. I used a variable resistor aka potentiometer to find the right value.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a similar issue with my 69R taillight conversion. The bulbs use a different wattage than stock bulbs so the blinker speed is too fast for my liking. Guys have said "we all just add a resistor" but who-what-where?????? Fun problems to have.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

I wonder if changing the blinker to the type you need to use with LED bulbs would work?

Mark
Old 01-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I wonder if changing the blinker to the type you need to use with LED bulbs would work?

Mark
Didn't know about that kind of animal.

I did replace the original with another original just in case it was the flasher itself. No joy. I'll look for an LED flasher

Link?

Edit:. Mark, again you are a stud. Simple $20 parts counter item.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Cant you buy an off the shelf thermistor and bias it to work ?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Cant you buy an off the shelf thermistor and bias it to work ?
in my case yes. But decided to remove the failure point in the system since it’s really not needed. These heat exchangers heat up near instantly.

Quick Reply: 911 SC Heater control temp sensor