Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

cost of head stud replacement on 83 sc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM
waymore
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost of head stud replacement on 83 sc?

can a head stud be replaced without removing yhe engine?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

nope ...

I could go into a really long discussion about what's involved .... but at the end of the day it s a couple hours to take an engine out including prep time. ....
Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

see how long they are ?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:13 AM
waymore
3rd Gear

thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolute cheapest would be $6,000, but expect to take it back to the shop a few times to have them chase down the oil leaks they didn't seal properly the first time.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:31 PM
09mageec
Racer

How about total cost, as well as time if he chose a DIY. Just curious...

-Cam
Old 12-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by waymore
can a head stud be replaced without removing the engine?
Nossir. The engine must be removed for that procedure.

JMHO, but a valve job should be done at the same time since they always need it (unless its recently been done). I would also replace all of those early Dilavar studs at the same time.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I did mine myself. Shade under 5 k. And two years. Lol
But i did squeeze in a divorce while your in there. So there's that
Old 12-19-2017, 11:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

head studs are great, but might as well do valve job while you are there, along with any oil leaks.... and how about clutch life?

Bw prepared to spend. It can turn into a rebuild pretty quick.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Had mine done this year. One stud broken on each side. 77k mikes on a 1980SC, so I had the clutch replaced too. While they were in there, they too recommended a valve job. Replaced all exhaust valves. Total job was right at $10k. The Indy shop also gave me a 10% PCA discount.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

For mine this year I removed the engine and gave them the long block to tear down, then did the rest of the work myself. Their engine work including the valve job was $6200, plus another $1500 in parts for me including clutch, pressure plate, flywheel resurfacing, and miscellaneous wires, vacuum lines, etc.

Then it went back twice chasing leaks (all at their cost thankfully)...and had the lower valve covers replaced...and the front crank and IMS seals replaced twice... Still leaks, just not as badly. At some point I'm going to take it out again for a couple of things and I'll go full crazy and **** torquing everything to perfection, and making the most beautiful seals. Might be the actual crankshaft nose bearing is leaking--I may epoxy that external seal on that as well.

Runs great, though!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i didn't bother with my clutch although if you don't do your own work you might. want to consider it . I measured how much wear on it , how long I had the car and at current rates calculated that I only had another 42 years before it wears out
Old 12-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

I'm ****, I guess. When I'm taking things apart I'd rather use all new parts--I was also dealing with an inconsistent clutch and some vibration. Most of it was probably tied up in a stuck clutch fork shaft and omega spring but I didn't want to put everything back together and realize the pressure plate was bad. And truthfully the sachs clutch kit isn't so expensive. Ugh, just thinking about it bothers me--the helper arm was completely seized onto the fork shaft, I had to cut the helper spring off to get enough room to turn the shaft to disengage the fork, and then I had to torch and slam and torch and slam to get the freaking arm off the shaft. Smooth as butter now but arghgh.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:16 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave Inc.
I'm ****, I guess. When I'm taking things apart I'd rather use all new parts--I was also dealing with an inconsistent clutch and some vibration. Most of it was probably tied up in a stuck clutch fork shaft and omega spring but I didn't want to put everything back together and realize the pressure plate was bad. And truthfully the sachs clutch kit isn't so expensive. Ugh, just thinking about it bothers me--the helper arm was completely seized onto the fork shaft, I had to cut the helper spring off to get enough room to turn the shaft to disengage the fork, and then I had to torch and slam and torch and slam to get the freaking arm off the shaft. Smooth as butter now but arghgh.
Okay yore gonna laugh at this ( okay not really ) . I took the engine apart also rebuilt the transmission. Did not realize the helper arm was supposed to spin freely on the cross shaft. PLUS I degreased the whole thing before working on the transmission .
Sure enough about 3 months after putting it back together I snapped a clutch cable. No problem , put on a new one but couldn't get proper adjustment on the 1.0mm only to discover the helper arm completely seized on to the cross shaft .. took a few days of troubleshooting to realize they are supposed to move independently. Spent the next week freeing up the helper arm as I refused to admit defeat and take engine out again .
Eventually I got it freed up .. but had to go to a buddies place with a lift 3 weeks later and drill out the pin holding the helper arm so I could replace the seal and fix it properly.

What a nightmare .. lesson learned ..
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

I can laugh a little bit, but I definitely feel your pain. Getting that helper shaft off once it's seized is surprisingly horrible, and I was lucky in that I was already pulling the trans. Had I not been able to separate the trans I don't know how in the world I would have gotten it out.

Yeah, lesson learned for sure, I bet you greased that thing to the moon just like I did, huh?

Quick Reply: cost of head stud replacement on 83 sc?