Passenger side driving lights won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM
M491Dave
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side driving lights won't turn on

Hi all,
Just received our New 86 M491. My wife's grandfather ordered if from Germany (his name is on the plaque on the door sill). When he passed, his only son got it. The uncle decided to thin the herd since he didn't use the 2 - 914s, and his 356 as much as he wanted to. Now the 911 is on it's 3rd generation in the family. I'm brand new to Porsche so I'm terrified of it but thrilled I get to learn something new. When we got it, the wife and I had to take it around the block. When we got back, I noticed that the passenger side running lights weren't on. I thought it was the fuse but it's still good. They all look original too. Is there somewhere I should be looking? I've rebuilt a few muscle cars over the years so I'm not a rookie but this European stuff is new to me. We've had the car for a week now so I haven't had time to really look into it.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome!,,
Bulb, clean or better replace all old fuses, clean fuse box. Check connections at lights. Protect bumper with masking tape when pulling out parking light receptacle.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM
M491Dave
7th Gear

Thanks Uwon!
Any suggestions on which fuses to get? Again, I'm new to Porsches and I would rather someone more experienced tell me that AutoZone or O'Riley's is ok rather than assume it. Or if I should stay the hell away from them altogether.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

AutoZone won't have them. Try a local Euro Car type retailer of go to Pelican Parts. It's an odd little fuse.

I'd invest in a VOA meter. Volt Ohm Amp. Check for Voltage at the fuse then at the light socket.

The cars are extremely simple to work on. Everything is modular and the car overall was built like a tank. Ten years ago I was a total chicken....now I'm adjusting valves, swapping out master cylinders, painting my own ducktail and bumper, changing out the carpet, modifying angle and raising spindles. Chasing a short would be child's play.

.......and Welcome.

PS:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/por...ir-manual.html
Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
M491Dave
7th Gear

Thanks Gramps
We actually received that repair manual with the car. I'll be diving into it while I'm on Christmas break.

My wife's grandfather and uncle were both mechanical engineers so the maintenance on this car is ridiculous. When the car got to us (we shipped it from Michigan to Arizona) it was stuffed with all kinds of spare parts and log books. I'm sure there are spare fuses somewhere.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

A good source of parts and advice is PelicanParts.com
Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M491Dave
Thanks Gramps
We actually received that repair manual with the car. I'll be diving into it while I'm on Christmas break.

My wife's grandfather and uncle were both mechanical engineers so the maintenance on this car is ridiculous. When the car got to us (we shipped it from Michigan to Arizona) it was stuffed with all kinds of spare parts and log books. I'm sure there are spare fuses somewhere.
You should find some in the tool kit and the glovebox then. Make sure there is a spare DME relay in the glovebox too.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM
M491Dave
7th Gear

Just a quick update.
- Fuses are good. Before buying replacements, I switched the left and right side fuses just to check. Passenger side still didn't work.
- Bulbs are good. I swapped bulbs around and lights are still out.

Drivers side remains fully functional.

I also checked the wires going to the fuses themselves and everything looks and feels the same.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sometimes the headlight switch can have a short in it. Double check it after you have checked the fuses.

Quick Reply: Passenger side driving lights won't turn on