Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ducktail, Whaletail or nuthin' at all???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:40 AM
markwemple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jack, Thanks and OUCH!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:40 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JackOlsen
I think we're lucky to have so much run-off on our tracks. Here's a clip of what happens when you go off at high speed.

And if you're chasing Italians all day, things can lead to a little slip like this.

(Unfortunately, I've got lots of 'em. )
The runoff is great! I'm envious (although I've yet needed that much, knock on wood).

The videos were great.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Tongel
Intermediate

I have a 1988 3.2.Carrera. I wasn't aware that it was possible to fit a 964 decklid with electric tail on my car. Any articles written on this about pros and cons ? Also, as opposed to manually operating the tail, is there some way to wire it up so that it pops up after a certain speed (just like the real thing) ?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not easy to wire it up to be speed-activated. On mine, I have a power window switch, with a load-sensing device that makes it like a 'one-touch' power window.

Actually, I probably could make it speed activated on mine, with the 964 motor and DME. But I never bothered.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Tongel
Intermediate

I can't imagine that there has never been any articles written on the effect of putting a 964 decklid on a Carrera. It's a great idea but I'm sure there may be consequences on the overall geometry of the car and how it affects the car at high speeds in comparison to a stock tail. If there is some article out there in "Excellence" or "Porsche World" or some other publication, please let me know. This could well be my next project but I am concerned that it should be a good modification and not purely for aesthetics. Any comments anyone ?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Tongel
Intermediate

I can't imagine that there has never been any articles written on the effect of putting a 964 decklid on a Carrera. It's a great idea but I'm sure there may be consequences on the overall geometry of the car and how it affects the car at high speeds in comparison to a stock tail. If there is some article out there in "Excellence" or "Porsche World" or some other publication, please let me know. This could well be my next project but I am concerned that it should be a good modification and not purely for aesthetics. Any comments anyone ?

Quick Reply: Ducktail, Whaletail or nuthin' at all???