Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

socal attorney recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003 | 02:28 AM
nostatic
Instructor

Default socal attorney recommendation

If you want the long story, check here (with pictures): http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=139290 and http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=139214

Short story is a reckless driver in an SUV crashed on the freeway and tore out a chunk of the concrete median, spreading debris over the westbound lanes (he ended up on his side in the eastbound lanes. I was the 3rd car through the debris field (coming through right after it happened...the dust hadn't even settled), and hit a big chunk that fairly destroyed my right front, gas tank, frame bent, etc. There were about 15 cars that ended up damaged (it happened at about 1am).

becuause I don't have comp or collision, if I want to get this covered I have to go after the reckless driver (that language direct from the sigalert). To get the info though, I evidently have to file a report with the CHP, and/or talk to my insurance carrier. I'd rather talk to an attorney first and see what my options are, and I'd rather avoid talking with my insurance carrier so as to avoid a rate hike and/or cancellation.

Anyone have a recommendation for an attorney in SoCal to handle this kind of thing? I don't want "pain and suffering", just my car fixed.
Old 12-13-2003 | 11:42 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Your wife doesn't have a suggestion????
Old 12-13-2003 | 11:53 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Can you not get a copy of the accident report from CHP, which will list the SUV's insurer, then call the insurer directly?
Old 12-14-2003 | 12:23 AM
nostatic
Instructor

CHP claims I have to file a report to get the information. I am loathe to do that, as it might go into the system as an accident on my record (and raise my rates).

Actually Paul, my wife has been pulling 18 hour days for the last week or so. I don't want to try and get any info out of her pertaining to legal stuff. Her firm doesn't do that type of stuff anyway...
Old 12-14-2003 | 10:30 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Todd:

You must immediately file an SR-1 (Report of Accident) w/ DMV. Merely doing so will not cause your insurance rates to increase. If you don't file an SR-1, you may have a problem making a claim later. Don't hold off on this.

Hitting accident debris that just came to a rest within seconds isn't your fault. NFW. Don't worry about it. It's not like the 15 victims are all going to be found at fault.

Immediately order the police report from CHP. It usually takes them a few day to a week for CHP to prepare it. It will have the scoop as to who is at fault and his/her insurance company. If it is clear from the police report that the SUV is at fault (which it will, if your description of what happened is accurate), make a claim directly w/ his/her insurer. If they won't pay up and the damage justifies the outlay , *then* get a lawyer.

One problem you might have is that the responsible party may not have sufficient insurance to pay 15 claims. Then, you'd have to go after the responsible party's personal assets (if he/she has any). Doable, but not fun.

Good luck. You should be okay.
Old 12-15-2003 | 09:49 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Originally posted by nostatic
CHP claims I have to file a report to get the information. I am loathe to do that, as it might go into the system as an accident on my record (and raise my rates).

Actually Paul, my wife has been pulling 18 hour days for the last week or so. I don't want to try and get any info out of her pertaining to legal stuff. Her firm doesn't do that type of stuff anyway...
I wasn't suggesting that she represent you. Rather, that she may know someone who could?
Old 12-15-2003 | 11:29 PM
nostatic
Instructor

I called an attorney today. He wouldn't take the case, and said that pretty much my only shot would be to file an accident report, find the guy driving the SUV, and go after their insurance (if they were insured). I've got to check if I've got uninsured property coverage, because if I do and the other driver is uninsured my company will alledgedly pay.

Either way, my car is getting fixed as we speak. I'll keep the receipts and maybe be able to get reimbursed. I'm figuring if I show them the $12K estimate maybe they'll make me an offer to go away...

Quick Reply: socal attorney recommendation